Source For EF-1/HD650 Combo -- Yup, Another Noob Question
Jan 10, 2009 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Trees

New Head-Fier
Based on the great info on these forums I am currently running:
CA 640C (V1) CDP > EF-1 > Stock HD650s

Am looking to upgrade the source if a worthwhile improvement can be made for $1,000 U.S. or less. Searched the forums but not able to make a decision.

Alternatives thinking about include, but open to other possibilities:
1. Keep the 640C (sounds fine, but a little muddy with complicated music). Certainly the least expensive alternative.
2. Marantz SA8001 (I do listen to SACD and DVD-A sometimes and my Oppo 970 is not the best).
3. CA840C used (I do like the detailed CA sound).
4. Stello 100 Signature (I like the idea of being able to use my computer as a source and being able to adjust the upsampling).

Any thoughts on how these (or other) sources $1,000 or less would fit with the EF-1 and HD650s would be greatly appreciated.

I listen to varied music. Sometimes I listen to remastered stuff going back to the early 1950s, which seems to favor a source with upsampling capability.

I thank you; my wallet does not.

Trees

Jan 10, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on the great info on these forums I am currently running:
CA 640C (V1) CDP > EF-1 > Stock HD650s

Am looking to upgrade the source if a worthwhile improvement can be made for $1,000 U.S. or less. Searched the forums but not able to make a decision.

Alternatives thinking about include, but open to other possibilities:
1. Keep the 640C (sounds fine, but a little muddy with complicated music). Certainly the least expensive alternative.
2. Marantz SA8001 (I do listen to SACD and DVD-A sometimes and my Oppo 970 is not the best).
3. CA840C used (I do like the detailed CA sound).
4. Stello 100 Signature (I like the idea of being able to use my computer as a source and being able to adjust the upsampling).

Any thoughts on how these (or other) sources $1,000 or less would fit with the EF-1 and HD650s would be greatly appreciated.

I listen to varied music. Sometimes I listen to remastered stuff going back to the early 1950s, which seems to favor a source with upsampling capability.

I thank you; my wallet does not.

Trees

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/clt....onv&1219023333

The longer you wait to pull the trigger, the longer you wait for the solution. I don’t know why but the selectable up sampling is never mentioned and it’s a big feature for me. I think the problem is when people demo the unit the difference between 96 and 192 is not detectable in a short period of time but after you spend some time with it you will know it to be a substantial difference. I recommend you spend a few days with the same group of tracks at 96 and then switch to 192 and you will realize the difference and understand what it is uses are. For me, the lower the recording quality gets the higher the up sampling should go. Didn’t realize this when I bought it but I am so glad I did. My last dac had fixed up sampling and now I feel like I really have 3 dac's. Sound is Punchy, Forward (affected by the chosen up sampling mode), Dynamic, Detailed, Balanced, and very smooth. Does exactly what it is supposed to do without adding unnecessary character to the music, that is rare, usually these added musical characteristics are flaws, that’s my opinion. You will also be ready for any amp upgrades in the future unless you get some really astronomical gear, this includes balanced outs. You can also use it to breath new life into your Oppo.

Side note: I listen to alot of Jazz and Standards and I usually switch between 96 and 192 (recording quality in the 50's was a mixed bag). Sometimes if I get a recording that is too warm then I use NON and it will take the veil away.

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks OBE,

I listed my preferences in reverse order (with the Stello being my first choice), maybe hoping that someone would talk me into a cheaper alternative, but you confirm my thoughts that the Stello best meets my needs.

And thanks for the link. The free shipping is a +.

Oh, and you folks could be an expensive group to hang with.

Trees

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks M,

Have not read anything about the Oritek, but will check it out.

Trees

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 6
Mike at HotRod is an authorized Stello dealer and a pleasure to do buisness with. I just want to say that my enthusiasm is merely a result of liking mine so much. Makes me want to buy an integrated with balanced inputs for some speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back