SOURCE FOR BEDSIDE MYTEK BROOKLYN
Oct 23, 2017 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Abstraction

100+ Head-Fier
I am not sure where this post goes. I am using my IPhone with a camera connection kit to get an usb input to a Mytek Brooklyn and HD800 by my bed. This sounds remarkably good, but I would like to have something that has more storage and that I could leave hooked up most of the time. It would have to small like a DAP--although not necessarily a DAP, have large storage capacity, and an digital output. The Brooklyn has all of the normal digital jacks.

I could--I suppose--use a Raspberry, and this would might advantages, but just the DAC and the associated wires are already messy.

The FiiO X5 looks like one possibility. With 500+ gb storage, it would hold a lot of music in a lossless format, and if it can give a good solid digital out and an interface that is all I need, but I do not keep up with the gear scene much. I like to get a good sounding setup and forget about it. (I have a wonderful Leben amp, but, for example, I recently had to look to make sure I knew exactly the right model number.) I really don't like gear, I like great music.

So I want to tap into the reservoir of expertise here. Let me know what you have tried, what the best ways to make connections are (cables and so forth; I'm guessing adapters might be a sometime difficult iissue). I am almost completely ignorant of this stuff. I know there are some expensive daps called Askell and something I think, that have digital outputs.The IPod Touch has a wifi (right?), then I could also stream Tidal. The resources are not unlimited, but what is possible? I am not interest in a solution for luxury. Value is important.Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #2 of 3
my experience with phones and daps as sources resulted in just okay sound. Tablets were no better. Computers always got me better sound. But if you want to keep things small and inconspicuous then you may be limited by what you will accept. I use a desktop computer networked to shared storage and that works great.

Given you have a very nice dac. I would think you would want the best sounding source. You may wish to look into running a Mac Mini or a NUC headless or a slight step down a laptop. Good luck!

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #3 of 3
Bixby, thanks. You are undoubtedly right. My wife, after 50 years, is quite forgiving, but I was trying to keep it
neat for her. I posted in a moment of indecision. I have a Mac mini in my main system, which I am going to replace with
a Rendu. I can put it and a hard drive under the bed or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back