Source for ATH-W2002! (if you are interested)
Jan 10, 2002 at 1:38 AM Post #31 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
Do you have an amp with crossfeed to try?

No I dont, but I read that the man who pioneered crossfeed was using a pretty sophisticated system. I think it contained the idea that the treble from one channel was lowered, and then treble from the other channel was fed in in its place and visa versa, including a delay, etc. etc. I'm just saying that a lot of work was done on that process and it also included working with certain frequencies in particular. Ideally I think crossfeed should be housed in its own 'box' and contain the full application of the research that was done. I think the crossfeed we know from Meier and HeadRoom are somewhat simplified versions of that work (by Ben Bauer of CBS Labs in the 60's.)

p.s. I read that stuff.. its not like I was there and can reproduce schematics from memory or write crossfeed formulas on my window like in the movie A Beautiful Mind.
p.s.s. the avatar looks familiar. mums the word.

Jan 10, 2002 at 4:06 AM Post #32 of 55
My thinking on the crossfeed is that if the SRS system is made for speakers and crossfeed helps cans sound more like speakers then crossfeed might help SRS sound better with cans. My logic might be flawed here.
wink.gif

Quote:

p.s.s. the avatar looks familiar. mums the word.

I knew you would get it.
Lets see who else does.

It is a beautiful artform BTW.

Jan 11, 2002 at 1:48 AM Post #33 of 55
Not to cause impulse buying panic, (like there is such a thing with 70,000 yen plus items) but I was in a shop yesterday and overheard that there were 200 left unpurchased in Japan. I don't know about supply in other places but I guess more people are buying them than I thought. The really weird thing is that EVERY relatively big chain (Yodobashi Camera, Yamagiwa, Laox, Ishimaru, etc.) has a pair for open audition with all the other normally priced headphones. I haven't seen a trashed pair, but I get nervous seeing them hang on displays waiting to get dropped or scratched or something. I would assume that they don't immediately sell the displays so that would mean that every shop would have at least 2 pairs. Which means I could account for more than 50 pairs in the Tokyo area alone. I'd love to buy a pair of display model for half price or something.

Jan 15, 2002 at 9:16 PM Post #38 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
I got a quote from Vincent on these and I'm thinking of getting a pair. Should I go for it? I did just get a bonus check today.
biggrin.gif

Take the plunge man!

I was listening to some great music just now and it reminded me of how glad I am to have em' plus, when you take them off and put them away you have the pleasure of treating them careful because they are so beautiful and you dont want them to ever get the slightest blemish or ding. In contrast, I used a metal file on my Grado 325 driver housings to help get the black paint off.

Jan 15, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #42 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by uvak
Mine will be arriving on Thursday. I really wonder how it would sound with my Cary and Headmaster.

I hope I have made the right choice.
cool.gif

Hi uvak! Well I tried to be careful and precise describing the W2002 on its own, and even in comparing it to the R10. The W2002 is not warm and padded sounding by itself; I have CD's that sound warm and padded through it though. The W2002 is also not harsh, bright, and biting; though I have CD's that sound that way through it too (only when played at high volumes.) The W2002 seems like it has enough presence that it could give a little away by getting mated with a tubey sounding amp and not suffer for it. In other words I dont think the W2002's sound needs to be brought out of its shell by adding other forward sounding gear. I think you spent your money well, and I really look forward to hearing you tell me how they sound through the Cary. I bought a triode amp for my pair as well.

We all hear differently, but if you've looked at my W2002 website you probably already read how much time went into these headphones and the importance a/t placed on them as being their 40th anniversary model, etc. They didnt go through all that time and all that money and all that trouble so that the result would be crappy. The company isnt run by teenagers (no offense teenagers), its run by serious people trying to improve on what came before- like all successful companies.

Let us know when they get to you!

Jan 17, 2002 at 6:25 PM Post #44 of 55
Even as I sit here with my Sony R10 crown, I still feel jealous of all you new 2002 owners. God, I wish I could hear the 2002, just to silence that tiny little nagging voice.

Damn this hobby!

markl

Jan 17, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #45 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by uvak
My W2002 has just arrived today!!!

Yeah baby! Post a description for us before you go to bed- NOT of how they sound (that will come later) but on what you think of just having them. I'm curious to hear what you think. Just let them play-in for a good long time. You want to excercise the suspension, not just vibrate the diaphram.
So as an object, what do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back