Source equipment for low impedance headphones
Dec 12, 2015 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

frostburg

New Head-Fier
I bought the Fostex TH-X00 (25 ohm), which deviate greatly from my usual listening habits (very neutral and analytic IEMs) and I'm in need of a reasonably priced DAC / ampli combination to drive them. The DAC will be mostly used with my macbook (which is a first gen 15-inch retina model, so it can't do high resolution audio on the optical out, but I'm not sold on high resolution audio outside of mastering anyway), but having something portable wouldn't hurt, even if it's not a deal breaker.
I'm considering a Modi 2 Uber + Magni 2 Uber or a micro iDAC2 (due to import duties on the Schiit products the price is roughly the same), but I'm open to other suggestions. Thanks for the help.

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #3 of 4
  If you are considering the Schiit stack (which I've owned), also take a look at The Element by JDS Labs.

Also check out this review.

That's interesting, but is it better (at least on non-subjective tecnical merits) than the iDAC2? I would also need to pay extra to use it as standalone DAC, apparently.
EDIT: actually, apparently it's not true, but it seems that one has choose between automatic line output and standalone amp operation.

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 4
  That's interesting, but is it better (at least on non-subjective tecnical merits) than the iDAC2? I would also need to pay extra to use it as standalone DAC, apparently.
EDIT: actually, apparently it's not true, but it seems that one has choose between automatic line output and standalone amp operation.

If you only go from the tech specs, then The Element is already perfect as far as DACs go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back