Source and amp for DT880?
Aug 30, 2005 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

martycat

New Head-Fier
Hi all DT880 owners, what are your sources and amps for the lovely cans? Feel curious about that and would like to take as reference for my own setup upgrade.
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 7
My DT-880s, when used, are hooked up to an RKV MKII tubed amp with a Sony 333ES SACD player. I prefer these cans with tubes. With SS, to my ears, they can tend toward sibilance........not quite sibilant, but just on the edge. Tubes tend to soften it quite nicely.
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 7
Agreed, I found the Gilmore pretty good match for the Beyer until I got my Rudi. The tube input section really makes the top end pleasant. No detail loss in fact I'd say its more revealing but no etch.

Source is really a personally preference more than headphone synergy. I presonally like a clean, dynamic presentation with weight so the MF A324 fits the bill as would a BC DAC2 but it looks dinky so I got the MF
eek.gif

Aug 30, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 7
Rotel 1072 -> Kimber Hero -> Singlepower PPX3-6SN7(Solen 1) -> DT-880s

The DT-880s sound really good with the Gilmore Lite. In my opinion it is the best amp under $300.00. They really started to blow me away with the added warmth of the PPX3-6SN7.

The Rotel is very nice, if a little bit forward. But matched with the PPX3 I'm getting great bass and mids with well defined highs. If I was to upgrade one thing in the system it would be the CDP. But that is a long way off.

Edit: Spelling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back