soundstorm+Dolby Headphone combo VS. X-Fi Cmss
Aug 30, 2005 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

quiktake

New Head-Fier
I currently have a Shuttle XPC with Soundstorm connected (by digital SPDIF ) to a Pioneer DIR-800C Dolby digital headphone system. I use an ATH-A900 plugged into the headphone out of the Pioneer base. I have always been impressed with the surround sound effects this setup offers me, but I realize Soundstorm doesn't have the best sound quality or features compared the newer sound card offerings.

I am a huge movie watcher and an occasional PC gamer, so I am very, very curious about the benefits of the new Creative X-fi card over my current setup. I would expect better channel separation from CMSS vs. Dolby headphone. And since I haven't owned a Creative labs card in 8 years, I am very curious about improved sound quality in games (UT 2004, Serious Sam 2).

First of all, does anyone have any recent experience comparing Nvidia's Soundstorm (limited to EAX 2) to the new Creative X-fi?

Second of all, how does X-fi's new CMSS headphone compare to recent HARDWARE-based Dolby headphone setups?

If the new X-fi offers major in both categories I would be very interested in picking up the new X-fi Extreme music (or waiting for an external USB Extigy-like version).

Any thoughts? Thanks for any advice!

Aug 30, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 11
I would also like to add that when Dolby headphone processing is enabled in on the Pioneer DIR-800C, I can hear some slight very high-pitched ringing sounds through my A900s. I can here it both when connected my computer SPDIF digital and my DVD player's digital out.

Does anyone have a similiar experience with other Dolby headphone systems or the Creative X-fi CMSS headphone? Perhaps it is just caused by some electrical interference inside my beloved Pioneer system...

Aug 30, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 11
I think X-Fi's CMSS3D-Headphone is AT LEAST as good as Dolby Headphone if not better. Even if it is the same in terms of quality of virtualization, the X-Fi will be better because it is not limited to 5-channel to 2-channel headphone downmix. If you are using DirectSound3D/OpenAL, the X-Fi will virtualize ANY position in 3D space (up to 128 simultaneously) INCLUDING points above and below. For HL2, which only creates 5 separate 3D sources to begin with, Dolby Headphone and CMSS3D-Headphone might be similar (especially if the X-Fi is in "Entertainment Mode"). Add the other gaming features of the X-Fi and you have a winner.

FYI, I even thought that the Audigy 2 ZS version of CMSS3D was on par with Dolby Headphone.

Aug 30, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 11
FYI, I have only compared Audigy 2 ZS CMSS3D vs. software Dolby Headphone for movie playback. I found they were both equally effective. I have also listened to the Dolby Headphone demo on their website.

Aug 30, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomase
Even if it is the same in terms of quality of virtualization, the X-Fi will be better because it is not limited to 5-channel to 2-channel headphone downmix.

FYI, Soundstorm 5.1 digital out to a Dolby headphone processor does not "downmix" to 2-channel any more than X-fi downmixes using CMSS headphone.

Aug 30, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 11
It depends on what you mean by "downmix". My definition in this context is ANY processing that takes 5 discrete channels and produces 2 discrete channels. This can be as simple as summation, or as compilicated as HRTF-based virtualization as is the case with Dolby Headphone and CMSS3D-Headphone.

If you don't like my choice of terminology, you may replace "5-channel to 2-channel headphone downmix" with "virtualizing 5 discrete positions".

Sep 9, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #10 of 11
I went for the X-Fi demo and here are my thoughts

For Music playing
the 24-bit crystalizer will make it sounds like the singer is singing in front of you

For Movies
it makes the sound more smooth in the flow from one side to another be it in your headphone or speakers (dolby Digital)

For Games
you can hear more details in the sound, but i guess gotta wait for game developers to include even more sound in their games, far more than existing sound cards can support and supported by X-Fi

Jan 29, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 11
I have Soundstorm / audigy / now x-fi

Creative line of card is much better for gaming. X-fi is even better. I you plan to play an varient type FPS game that have 3D sound, go to x-fi now. It is night and day.

I cant comment on Music listening. It is far beyond my knowledge (coz I don't have many good source).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back