soundstage
Dec 21, 2004 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

onionblaster

100+ Head-Fier
I've read a lot here about "soundstages," but having only experienced my EX71s and some sony stock stuff, I don't know much about it. Could someone describe exactly what it's like? Does it seperate the different musical sections enough to get like a mental picture of where the different people were during the recording of the song? As in, the different parts arranged in a circle around your head? Or is it more abstract than that? I'd just like a basic description of the experience for curiosity's sake, thanks in advance.

Dec 21, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenear
You have the jist of it. I don't think a closed type headphone can produce any meaningfull soundstage though. Or can they?

imo, headphones can't produce a tangible soundstage* like mid/far-field speakers can (as in it sounds exactly like someone is standing in my room, playing the music). however, they can produce a "headstage" that can give some amount of separation and positioning, but doesn't have the same realism (though may be more involving).

*this is using the following definition of soundstage:

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereophile
soundstaging, soundstage presentation The accuracy with which a reproducing system conveys audible information about the size, shape, and acoustical characteristics of the original recording space and the placement of the performers within it.

edit: i should add that the above applies only to stereo recordings mixed for use on speakers. binaural audio is another story, of course.

Dec 21, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenear
You have the jist of it. I don't think a closed type headphone can produce any meaningfull soundstage though. Or can they?

Think.. A900, CD3000, R10's.... meanwhile it's arguable what is a "soundstage" for some and "headstage" for others... it is possible to emulate some sort of a stage regardless. It's hard to say whether it's meaningful enough to a specific individual, but there are definitely some headphones that will be comparatively more meaningful than others; and most importantly, not limited to only open-air headphones.

Dec 21, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 9
Soundstages are for speakers. Go Grado for headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Word from the wise...

Dec 21, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #6 of 9
To me it's the ability of the headphone to give you a sense that some of the individual instruments are outside your head. To me the r10's do this the best. I have the cd3000's and they do a nice job as well, not up to the r10 but better than the HD-650. With Grados it seems like the music is in your head.

Dec 21, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #7 of 9
I strongly recommend reading darth nut's review on the Omega IIs where he explains "soundstage" and "headstage" in the most thorough fashion. It's quite long but absolutely worth the time. If you haven't read it yet, you're in for a treat
wink.gif

Link

Dec 21, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Yes they can. Two of the headphones best known for reproducing soundsstage are closed-- Sony CD3000 and R10.

Quote:

Soundstages are for speakers.

Headphones aren't as good as speakers at soundstaging, but some phones can do an adequate job of it (but Grados are not one of them).

Dec 22, 2004 at 12:05 PM Post #9 of 9
I never really experienced a focused soundstage until I received the DT860s.Its different than the speaker experience but its a pretty neat trick that they do.I would not like headphones that don't do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back