Soundstage vs. Isolation on IEMs
Oct 26, 2011 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Pin

Head-Fier
One thing I've always found quite important is soundstage, but when it comes to IEMs, my understanding of the subject is quite limited.

Is there an inverse relationship between good isolation and good soundstage? I know that there are certain "vented" IEMs (like the JVC HA-FX700) that are said to have good soundstage. Likewise, I have read in some reviews by Joker that when inserting there can be a tradeoff between SQ (especially bass) and soundstage/airiness.

So is this conclusion of mine true? Or are there plenty of IEMs out there with huge soundstage + good isolation?

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #2 of 8
There are few IEMs which portray realy wide soundstage yet isolate well but price is realy high like PFE232, Westone 4, Sony EX1000, AKG K3003 and FinalAudio. The other IEMs with huge soundstage and price tag is not too high are dynamic and they do not isolate well like IE8, JVC FX700, CKS70, CKS90, FX500, Radius DDM, SM3(BA), TF10Pro(BA), RE272 and EX600.

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 8
See if you can try out the Ortofon e-Q5. Well above average soundstage to my ears, good isolation.

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #4 of 8
It's a great question, and one I've pondered recently too as I've tested out the (new-to-me) VSonic GR07 -- which has great soundstage -- and compared it with my long-time IEMs the Etymotic HF5 -- which has fairly poor soundstage, in my opinion.  On the flipside, the GR07 does not isolate very well, and the HF5 isolates extremely well.  Hmmm.

I recently purchased a used pair of the Klipsch X10, which fits very similarly to the Ety HF5 -- and isolates just as well.  That said, the soundstage on the X10 is noticeably better to my ears, so I guess I'd say that GOOD ISOLATION doesn't necessarily equal BAD SOUNDSTAGE, though you could probably argue that ear phones with good-to-great isolation usually don't offer soundstage that is as good.

My $.02, and I will likely be proven wrong by the next person who replies to this thread... :wink:

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
crossfeed and stereo width included in rockbox are very effective settings for soundstage issues. placement (depth) in the canal has some bearing on perceived soundstage

Interesting.  How does an external source/amp affect soundstage?  I would've thought that it would be totally dependent upon the IEM itself, but then again.... then can use software to make you think you're listening to 5.1 sound on a pair of stereo headphones....

Oct 26, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 8
I don't think isolation and soundstage have anything to do with each other.  Soundstage has to do with drivers.  Isolation has to do with the fit.

W3 has a very large soundstage. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back