Soundstage of AKG K271s, compared to Grados?
Dec 27, 2008 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Amebix

New Head-Fier
The K271s are widely discussed on this forum, and I've read some threads about them in comparisons to a900 and dt250, but as my only true headphone reference in this price range is Grado SR-125, Im having a hard time getting an idea what size their soundstage actually is.

I consider buying the 271s, as they seem to decently fit the types of music I cant comfortably (or possibly at all) listen to in a noisy (tv/stereo) environment: classical symphonies and similar music with "light"/"thin" sounding instruments. When it comes to other kinds of music I listen to, mainly rock with distorted guitars, the grados do fine most of the time (when the stereo isnt playing loud, etc). So Im considering them as a supplement, mainly for classical music, yet under certain circumstances for other kinds of music too.

Can anyone in detail describe their soundstage, and how it compares to the Grados? And apart from that, all in all, how preferrable would these headphones be for classical music listening, compared to the Grados, in a calm/silent environment?

Dec 27, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi,
I have k271s mk II and get MS1 as a supplement. I used my MS1 when i want to rock out and want to feel like i am actually on the stage singing with the singer. Often, i actually imagine myself as the singer haha.

The k271s is awesome for jazz, vocal jazz, small band jazz. It also gives me tighter bass and better for classical ymmv. The k271 also provides very good isolation so u can definitely use it in a noisy environment. The k271s also gives me a wider sound stage than the MS1. The width is decent but probably not in the same league as k701. The depth and height arent much to write home about on the k271. You might say it give an intimate scale of sound stage but definitely bigger and broader than the MS1.
In a calm/silent environment. I still prefer k271s for classical music. I love Yo-Yo Ma on the k271. Any small scale classical is awesome but i am not so sure about those complex large scale classical stuffs.
All in all, i do not think that you should compare the two cans based on soundstage. Personally, they are pretty good together. Maybe you can also check out the denon 2000 too or the the hfi 680.
Cheers,
AP

Dec 30, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the response. Im currently considering the K271, ATH a900 (or 700) and Denon 2000.
The latter ones seems to get overall good reviews. The K271 are the easiest and cheapest to get in norway though. The denons would cost at least 50% more, not sure if I can afford them (read: if its worth it), and the ath comes in between.

Apart from classical music I would also want the phones to be suited for other "complex"/many-layered music like post-rock (especially as I play guiter and like to tab songs out). But I searched a little and found someone else on the forum who said that the 271s worked well for that kind of music.

The portability and the nice function (if thats the correct english word) that turns the sound off when they are taken off also makes me want to choose the 271s. The only downside is that some say they need amping.

I'll see if I can try the phones somewhere, but I probably will not have the opportunity to try all the phones, so if someone has any suggestions they are welcome.

Edit: oh, and btw, I thought along the same lines as you did. Using the closed phones as a supplement only, for certain kind of music and occations. The only reason I wanted a comparison between grado and the other phones was that grados are the only full-size-phones I know what sounds like, and my only real-world referance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back