Soundstage issues with binaural recordings
May 16, 2014 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dead99

100+ Head-Fier
First of all, I don't know if this is the correct forum to post this so if it isn't please change it.

I recently downloaded my first 'real' binaural album, The Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc (the first one was 8-bit music mixed by pc).
Although the soundstage heavily improved, I noticed that in my case, front corresponded to up/above and back/behind corresponded to down/below. whilst right and left did get a big improvement.
Has anyone got a idea how this could be, equipment in signature.

Thanks

May 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 5
With binaural recordings, your mind is filling in a lot of the spacial placement based on clues in the recording. I have a problem listening to them myself, because my mind keeps making me think the sound is jumping from in front of me to behind me. I suppose you can train yourself to hear it where you want to hear it, but I haven't been able to do that.

May 19, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 5
I think this is the case as I'm still pretty young and my ears are probably smaller.

thanks

Not necessarily the size, the shape is what will matter. Some have earlobes that are too flat they have no ears on their passports; some have earlobes that are folded forward they look like mice in their passports. Unfortunately unlike dogs and cats who, even with breeds that have different ear shapes (OK, disregard the ones with folded ears), we can't move our ears around like radar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back