Soundstage issue with vintage stereo reciever
Dec 24, 2017 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dgindlespergerd

100+ Head-Fier
I recently purchased a Pioneer SX-424 thinking it would be great for a headphone amp. I already have the Valhalla 2 so I just set that as the pre amp and was hoping for more glorious sound. But the sound coming out of the receiver completely lost the warmness and soundstage that I love so much. Any thoughts on this, or am I just doing something wrong...

Dec 24, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 8
Dec 24, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 8
What input are you using on the receiver?
HE-400?HE-400i?HE-400s? HiFiMan needs to realize there are other numbers to choose from when naming headphones!
The OG 400 and 400i should work fine.The 400s might be an issue.

Dec 24, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #6 of 8
Aux is correct.Have you tried going in direct w/o using the Valhalla,and if so are the results the same?
What volume do you have the Valhalla set to?Tried turning that up or down and how does it change the Pioneer?

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 8
A couple random thoughts...

I have zero experience with either piece of gear in question,but youre comparing tube to solid state...perhaps youre spoiled?

I own 6 vintage receivers and of those my least favorite is my Marantz 2226b which is 26wpc.Headphones sound like crap from it.From my other receivers which range in power from 50-125wpc they rock (to varying degrees)driving headphones.That being said your unit is only 13wpc....Im not saying your receiver is too weak,but its something to consider.Unfortunately without buying another receiver or knowing someone locally to test out this theory its really hard for you to know for sure.

FWIW I currently have my Akai AA-1150 in use for my desktop set-up,in addition to my La Figaro 339 OTL.I can go back and forth and hear a slight difference.It isnt night and day,and in fact there are certain headphones I own where there is better synergy with the Akai over the 339,and vice/versa.That leads me to believe either:
a) you prefer tube over solid state
b)your receiver is too weak
c)a combo of a+b

You might try a non planar 250-600ohm headphone and see if you get the same results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back