Soundstage headphones: I need help please
Aug 1, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #47 of 60
Here is a link to headphile:
http://www.headphile.com/

Yes the M3 is a good amp from what I have read but I have never heard it so I can not comment one way or another. I dont think the DT880 would even hold a candle to the soundstage of a properly amped K340. I would ask the seller what version of the K340 he has (the bassy one or the one with tighter bass)

Aug 1, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #48 of 60
He said it is his only pair and cannot help me
frown.gif

Aug 1, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #49 of 60
Ask for the date it was purchased, and if it was new or used when he got it. Somebody here is sure to know when the different versions started showing up. Ask for any kind of serial number or identification it might have as well, mabey you could call AKG directly and ask them. Regardless, both the bassy version and the tighter version would both have about the same soundstage, only the tighter one might be slightly more detailed, however I can assure you that either one will be more detailed than an A900.

Aug 1, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #51 of 60
The AD2000 will not disappoint. If you thought the soundstage on the A900 was big then you are in for a treat if you get the AD2000. Mind you, it will sound it's best with a decent source and amp. There is a $60 DAC that is susposed to sound similar to the Zhaolu, I would get it if I were you. Here is a link:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=188980

If you still want a K340 you dont need to give up all hope on it. There have been a number of them recently, just search the forum for K340, you might find one still for sale. Or post a want to buy thread.

Aug 1, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #52 of 60
I am sad because I have to wait a few months to get the headphones (Like 3-4 months) and I am also a little unsure because of spinali's review. My friend told me my Zhaolu is coming today so why should I get the other one (The $60 one that sounds "similar"? How close is similar?)?

Is there nothing else left for soundstage headphones that I could get now?

Aug 1, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #53 of 60
spinali's review was a very well written and thought out review, except he was severely handicapping both headphones he reviewed by using an iMac as source, and while he did use an amp it was not exactly a great amp. I did not know you were getting a zhaolu, that is great. Did you get the upgraded built in amp for it or are you going to use the M3?

Aug 1, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #54 of 60
My friend bought me the Zhaolu. I do not know if it has the upgraded headamp or not (He just told me it costed $200 or something). The "M3" is not mine it is my friend's headphone amplifier. He lives very close to me (Less than 5 minute walk) so I think he will loan it sometimes.

Aug 1, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #55 of 60
If it cost $200 I don't think it has the built in amp. It does have a headphone jack because you need to hook up the headphone somehow. You should also really save for an amp (dosnt have to be super expensive) that can drive the AD2000 well, I have no idea how the M3 will do with it.

Aug 1, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #56 of 60
Don't worry, K340s pop up on ebay now and then. I saw a NOS K340 on ebay US a few weeks ago, but it was a bit pricey (300$?).

I would not primarily think of soundstage when buying phones though. IMO it's a very elusive quality and frequency response is more important in determining the character of a phone. The K340 is a very warm sounding phone, not entirely unlike the shure e3s and imo that's its most important characteristic, not the soundstage.

Aug 1, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #58 of 60
I seem to be the lone voice for the AD900, but not sure if you've completely discounted it out of the picture. But if you're strapped for funds and simply must have something now try the AD900 from Musician's friend. They have a 45 day return policy. So if anything, you can always return it, even while trying to decide whether to get the K340/AD2000. Besides, you're probably getting around 90% of an Audio Technica's potential without an amp anyways.

Aug 1, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #59 of 60
The nice thing about the Audio Technicas is that they are low impedence and usually do OK without an amp, however an amp still significantly helps the higher end ones. There is very very little information about the AD900 and the AD1000 on head-fi, but from the little there is I have made out they are not in the same league as the AD2000 and will not give you a "taste" of what it would sound like. I can say this however, if the AD900 and AD1000 are simply open versions of the A900 and the A1000, then I would avoid them. They are not great headphones.

Aug 5, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #60 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by barkas
Don't worry, K340s pop up on ebay now and then. I saw a NOS K340 on ebay US a few weeks ago, but it was a bit pricey (300$?).

I would not primarily think of soundstage when buying phones though. IMO it's a very elusive quality and frequency response is more important in determining the character of a phone. The K340 is a very warm sounding phone, not entirely unlike the shure e3s and imo that's its most important characteristic, not the soundstage.

I agree. System matching is so important with these phones, not to mention a great and powerful amp on top of that
biggrin.gif

On warm systems they sound VERY syrupy. The bass however is very dominant in my pair, and nothing "thin" at all about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back