Soundstage headphones: I need help please
Jul 31, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #16 of 60
Are AKG340 very rare? Member Samgotit is selling K340 for $210 shipped and I could maybe buy them in a couple days if they are still available. Is this a good idea? My friend said that he will loan me his special headphone amplifier every now and then if I really need it.

Jul 31, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #17 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldo_Lopez
I want headphones with very big soundstage with lots of space, air, and 3D.

Stax 3030 (if you have a rather warm and punchy source). Excellent soundstage & air. I have the K501, which have a very airy sound and very wide (but not deep) soundstage; the Stax easily surpass them and have good depth too. If you can afford to pay, I don't know, was it about $800+ in the US?!

But anything you buy, AUDITION FIRST!! (or make sure you buy from a place with a nice return policy)

Jul 31, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #19 of 60
Thats a great price for the K340, but he did say it needs new elastics, I'm not exactly sure what that is.

I would start a new thread asking about the K340, in particular if you can get a good amp for it with your budget. I don't know much about the K340 other than that it's soundstage is susposed to be huge. I would post the question about an amp in the amp section.

Oh, and a fun fact, the K340 is a dynamic/electrostatic hybrid.

Jul 31, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #20 of 60
A thing to bear in mind is that open series and closed series Audio Technicas having the same number are two totally different beasts. I prefer the AD900 to the A900LTD for the majority of genres of music. It is well known that that open headphones make the music sound more natural and the mids on these cans really shine. But like I said before, the bass may be lacking for some (one of the only reasons I switched to the A900LTD)

But everything is subjective really, to me the AD900 was in a better league than the K701. To me the K701 were nice and pleasant, albeit a bit bland. Perhaps amping, or lack thereof of the 'correct' amp possibly had something to do with it. In contrast, the AD900 leaned towards the more fun energetic side of things.

I was using a headsave classic with the K701. If you have to get the K340, K701, HD650; I think you would to spend at least $200+ for the 'correct' amp to get the true benefit/magic out of these cans.

I'm not belittling any of the big boys, just that depending on your situation/budget you may do well with one of the AD series. Maybe the DT990 as well, I've heard a lot of good things about those phones; would like to try them out someday.

Musician's friend
has the AD900 for #239.99. I believe they have a 45 day return policy, so there is one option for you. Try em out and see if it's your cup of tea. Although I bought my AD900 through pricejapan.com for $227.00 shipped, but they do not have a return policy I believe.

But as always, audition first, that is your best review
eggosmile.gif

Jul 31, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #21 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldo_Lopez
Are AKG340 very rare? Member Samgotit is selling K340 for $210 shipped and I could maybe buy them in a couple days if they are still available. Is this a good idea? My friend said that he will loan me his special headphone amplifier every now and then if I really need it.

You need to be prepare for the following expenses if you need the real sound of K340. If you think they'll sound better direct out of the box then you'll be dissapointed.

K340 = $210
Headphile mod = $225
Darkvoice tube amp = $300

TOTAL = $735

Jul 31, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #23 of 60
I think if you could skip one of those it would be the headphile mod. If need be it could be put off for later. What amp does he have? We need a brand and model to work with.

Jul 31, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #26 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Just to be clear, the headphone out on a Zhaolu does not qualify as a headphone amp that brings out the soundstaging the HD650 is capable of. It's fairly mediocre in that regard.

Best,

-Jason

This is true if you are using the stock headphone amp but remember there's also a discrete headphone amp upgrade that really improves things. Maybe not even this discrete module will power the HD 650 to its full potential but it powers the K 701 nicely. Soundstage is very wide in this setup, also.

Jul 31, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #28 of 60
If soundstage is what you want then I say stay far away from the K701 (yes, I have had 1on1 experience with it). It has a very noticable 2-blob in the head effect, it sounds translucent (as if the sound is only half there), and when you turn up the volume up, the soundstage starts to become shifty and hard to follow (imaging is thrown off).

On the flip side the HD650 has it's own soundstage problems. You know what I say now, skip the K340 -- they are a very hard headphone to get right, and from what I have read an acquired taste.

Just order an AD2000 and be done with it. Bluetin has them cheaper than audiocubes. Or you could try and get one used here.

Jul 31, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #30 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
If soundstage is what you want then I say stay far away from the K701 (yes, I have had 1on1 experience with it). It has a very noticable 2-blob in the head effect, it sounds translucent (as if the sound is only half there), and when you turn up the volume up, the soundstage starts to become shifty and hard to follow (imaging is thrown off).

i had none of these problems with the k701 run out of a woo 3 w/nos amperex or run out of a ray samuals sr-71. wonder why you experienced these things...? were you facing graceland as proscribed?

good move on selling all for the k1000 btw - they are fantastic. i wish you better listening with those than you found with the 701's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back