Soundstage and Punchy Bass $100ish?
Oct 22, 2007 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Al Paccioli

100+ Head-Fier
When I say punchy bass I assume it refers to the 'thump' in the sound reproduction (apparently the HD 555s lack this, correct me if I'm wrong), and soundstage is apparently nonexistent in an SR60/SR80/MS1. The headphones should trump a KSC75 in every aspect, which is why I'm hesitant about the HD555 if it can't even match the punch of a $10 clip on. They'll be run without an amp from a laptop or mp3 player, for metal and FPS games.

So far I've narrowed it down to the HD485, AKG 240S, and the RP21. If I'm misjudging the HD555 then I'll just go with that. Please don't just vote for one headphone over the other, I'm looking for specific reasons. Thanks.

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #3 of 15
You don't see this one mentioned a lot, but maybe the Ergo 2? There was one for sale in the forums, not sure if it still is though.

Oct 22, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 15
ATH ES7 has soundstage and bass for around $100. The mids are thin though.

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 15
You should be able to score an older model DT-770/80ohm for $100. Soundstage and thump galore.

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 15
There is a recent thread entitled “Found an AWESOME bass head headphone for 100 bucks” which highly praises the bass of the Equation XB-1 (now called the RP-22x). You might want to check it out.

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #9 of 15
Im not sure, but perhaps Audio Technica A500, if its anything like A700 or A900 that is. And A700 is bit above 100$. Not perhaps Thumping bass, but atleast strongish bass.

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #10 of 15
having owned both the K240s and RP21 at the same time...

The RP-21 have more sub-bass kick than the K240s, and also more treble, while the K240s have more forward midrange and a laid back treble sound. Both have large soundstage, but I think the RP21's is wider. RP21 are great for FPS games, I mostly play CSS and TF2.

in the end I kept the RP-21 and sold the K240s to a friend of mine who wanted them. Both are great headphones, I just think the RP-21 is a bit better.

both are extremely comfortable, though the RP21 are much heavier than the K240s.

Dec 15, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #11 of 15
Hi skudmunky, I want to known, which of the two has more mid-bass (bass impact for movies (no only low bass)) and better mids of the two??
And which of the two sound more open (airier) (i hate closed in sound) and which of the two, sound louder and for last, which of the two sound better with an amp?
I listen to trance, electronica, Jpop, Jrock and other faster genres...
Thank you very much in advance for your answer
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
having owned both the K240s and RP21 at the same time...

The RP-21 have more sub-bass kick than the K240s, and also more treble, while the K240s have more forward midrange and a laid back treble sound. Both have large soundstage, but I think the RP21's is wider. RP21 are great for FPS games, I mostly play CSS and TF2.

in the end I kept the RP-21 and sold the K240s to a friend of mine who wanted them. Both are great headphones, I just think the RP-21 is a bit better.

both are extremely comfortable, though the RP21 are much heavier than the K240s.

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #12 of 15
I can vouch that the RP-21 have very little benefit from an amp. (They're remarkably good straight out of most sources, don't get me wrong, but they just don't improve hardly any at all with amplification.)

I've found the RP-21 to be very good for trance, no bass floppiness at all. They handle low octaves outstandingly, and do have the large soundstage mentioned by skudmonkey. I also use them for gaming.

However, I'm not offering the direct comparison he is. Consider all of this to be a giant "in my opinion".

Dec 15, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #13 of 15
Have you owned/tested the DT770pro/80?, if so, Which of the two, has more bass impact/slam?, because i want an alternative to my DT770pro/80 (for that i am selling it (i had the DT990)), that has better mids (not subdued or recessed), even better than my DT990 (if apply...), the highs is not as important (as the bass and mids) because i had an XMOD, which energizes it (and boost the bass a little too), but when i refer to "not important", it doesn't mean than it has to be bad. I can live with the rolled back treble of the AKG K240S, but i dislike the harsh treble of the RP-21 (according to that i have read in some threads in the site) for example, or of the grados, akg 701, SA5000, CD3000 and others.
And how the title say, i want a headphone that sound with a Very strong bass (no only deeper but slamming (type Ultrasone Edition 9 for example or ultrasone pro-line 750) The DT770pro/80 lacks slam but has LOTS of deep bass) and BIG soundstage, but i don't want to spend this time more than $100
I want the PRAT (emotion and faster sound) of a grado but i dislike the soundstage of a grado* (except the GS1000 of course, but it is out of my reach (for now (but i don't want to spend that much in a headphone))* and harshness of the highs)
I like a headphone as my DT990 but more open and with a little more of bass impact and with more volume (it has a weak output volume with my amp in AC3 Movies and in some DTS too, and with some MP3 songs and with some TV Channels, and it ruin the emotion in the music a little (when the volume isn't louder enough...))

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can vouch that the RP-21 have very little benefit from an amp. (They're remarkably good straight out of most sources, don't get me wrong, but they just don't improve hardly any at all with amplification.)

I've found the RP-21 to be very good for trance, no bass floppiness at all. They handle low octaves outstandingly, and do have the large soundstage mentioned by skudmonkey. I also use them for gaming.

However, I'm not offering the direct comparison he is. Consider all of this to be a giant "in my opinion".

Dec 23, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #15 of 15
Thanks, for you which of the two has better and powerful bass, and a bigger headstage and soundstage.
Thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by DEZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DR-150!
RP-21 not bad either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back