sounds stage issues, 2 planars vs 2 dynamic
Jan 3, 2024 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

anorphirith

Head-Fier
I've been doing AB testing for a couple hours comparing my new Aeon 2 and the T50RP to the MDR-XB700 and the BT DT770pro ( kinda random but I was really just testing my new Aeon2s )
I used my genelec M030 as reference.
I found the usual findings, the Aeon2 having the highest clarity and texture, T50RP typical planar sound but veiled throughout the fq ranges. the MDR-XB700 not having the best texture and the DT 770pro being slightly too bright.
But the big issue is both planars are VERY flat and have an order of magnitude less soundstage than either dynamics. It seems as if the sound is coming from "a shallow tube". All the instruments are coming from the same place, nothing stands out, no imaging, no musicality. (I also played my ER4XR for good measure and it was completely flat as expected.)
I've played all of them from a DX3 pro, then from a vintage CR-620. As expected I lost some details on the vintage receiver, the planars soundstage increased with the CR-620 but still nothing close to the dynamics.
The last planars I had were Dianas v1 playing on a kevin gilmore su-sy dynahi and the soundstage was out of this world. and I expected a single ended planar to be at least close to it, specially given the glowing reviews of the Aeon2
What am I doing wrong, do I need another class A amp ? The DAP seems decent enough

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 8
Upgrade your dac and amp. Susy Dynahi should be sufficient to drive Aeon 2 - it will probably drive HE6 with power to spare let alone Aeon 2. I personally don't think Aeon 2 open sounds all that great - had one for some time and sold.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 8
Upgrade your dac and amp. Susy Dynahi should be sufficient to drive Aeon 2 - it will probably drive HE6 with power to spare let alone Aeon 2. I personally don't think Aeon 2 open sounds all that great - had one for some time and sold.
I sold that amp a while back, the dac sounds great on my genelec and dynamics headphones, I might need better amp & headphones :frowning2: too bad I was really expecting more from the Aeon2 ...

Jan 4, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 8
I sold that amp a while back, the dac sounds great on my genelec and dynamics headphones, I might need better amp & headphones :frowning2: too bad I was really expecting more from the Aeon2 ...
Oh, that changes things. So you don't have an amp that can output high current? If no, then you need one suited to drive planars.

Jan 4, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 8
Oh, that changes things. So you don't have an amp that can output high current? If no, then you need one suited to drive planars.
the Yamaha CR-620 (TO-3 transistors) did help with the planars soundstage but nowhere close to what the dynamic pair could do

Attachments

• IMG_1059.jpeg
    IMG_1059.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Jan 4, 2024 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 8
I've had that issue with a lot of planars. The Hifiman Sundara has a wide soundstage, but flat as a pancake for depth. The Ananda is good, but the Arya Stealth is probably the best planar I've ever heard. The Audivina was good, but not anywhere near that price.

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 8
I wouldn't call the sound of my Sundara flat (Mojo 2) but that's just me. My other (dynamic) HP's are mostly in the same price bracket so may not show the difference to the full extent.

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:48 AM Post #8 of 8
You need mid level DAC and EQ gear. Planar cans do best with EQ adjustments. For me that’s the Schiit Bifrost and Lokius. If you go all mid level gear you may need a preamp with that amp of yours for harder to drive planars. However my Jotunheim is good enough for most planars except the Tungsten so I ended up buying a Mjolnir 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back