Soundquality of MD
Feb 5, 2003 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

andreas_l

New Head-Fier
HI!

How does the compression affect the quality of sound when CD's are recorded optically to a MD? From what I understand it takes away some of the sound in the upper and lower range - but is this really audiable? Can you really hear a difference from the original CD?

I have a Sony MZ-N1 and think I can hear a diference from MP3's (192) and the original CD, but I don't have a PCDP to compare with. And as I'm thinking of getting one to get the best possible sound I need to know if the difference is THAT big!

Any recommondations on PCDP's?

Thanks for helping out!

Feb 5, 2003 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 3
To be honest I can't really hear a different - even when using LP2. MD is an outstanding format - don't worry about the sound quality issue because there really isn't one.

I must admit I don't use MD any more - I now have a Nomad Jukebox 3 which meets my needs better in my opinion - the change to the Jukebox had nothing whatsoever to do with the sound quality though - I think they both sound excellent.

I briefly tried the Sony MZ-N1 and was very impressed with the sound quality, functionality and build.

Feb 7, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 3
Just a bit (puntime) of the mojo is missing.

Not good for dance/tribal music. Ok for space/trance music. Great for spoken voice.

In general, when the bitrate is sufficient to preclude obvious high frequency artifacts, what I have felt/heard with lossy coding schemes is less of a sense of pacing and different, almost weird, microdynamics...as if the phrasing and intent of the music is being performed differently, or as a different mix.
One jazz/fusion track I tried sounded like the drums were slightly off time, as if the drummer was more of an amateur.

It's weird, as in many sensory experiences, once you lock into these subtler artifacts, they stand out like a sore thumb even if you missed them at first...like the horizontal single pixel lines on older sony monitors...you don't notice them till some wiseguy points them out, then you notice them all the time.

So if these descriptions sound a bit (puntime again) out there, be glad you don't hear them and enjoy a very convenient and portable medium...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back