Soundproofing
Jan 30, 2009 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys(and gals!),

I am going to begin construction on a "recording studio" in the next few months. My current PC setup will suffice for recording, plus I do have mics, ampage (is that a word?) if necessary, etc. However, considering the type of stuff I will be recording and that I don't really wish to pay for a professional studio, I am going to build one
smily_headphones1.gif
A buddy of mine lives in the 2nd floor of a disconnected garage unit (i.e. seperate from the main house) and it's currently missing carpeting and whatnot being in transition-mode, so building it here would be perfect. However, I am not incredibly familiar with the science and acoustics of sound-proofing. I do know that when my father had a piano lesson studio in our house, he made sure to use solid wood doors, and usually utilized the bumpy, rolling "eggshell" grey foam. I don't know what else, though. I would ideally like something that provides a high amount of dB reduction for a budget cost -- maybe a few hundred dollars? I imagine tt will be small, maybe 5x5, or 8x8 or so, doesn't need to be big. What say you?

Jan 31, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 6
This is probably way overkill info - but that's 'what we're all about' here isn't it?

Strategies, materials, and details vary a lot, depending on the type of sound issues you have. For instance, are you needing to: Isolate from outside noises (or keep yours in)? Are you trying to control reverb within the recording room? Trying to 'equalize' the room, so frequency characteristics are neutral?, etc.

For isolation, it depends a lot on what frequencies are getting through - bass or treble. High mass (sand filled concrete block, solid doors, etc.), gaskets to seal gaps, box within a box enclosures, resilient-type connections, sound batt insulated walls, etc. are all tricks of the trade.

For reverb control, remember that parallel walls will allow echos to bounce back and forth repeatedly if the room is live enough. If you want a 'live room' and not a 'dead' one, you may want to try making the room not too rectangular.

Sound absorption is what most people think about for acoustic treatment - and while important for various reasons, should probably be added as needed, and after the underlying isolation and reverb issues have been controlled first.

Check a college library for books on architectural acoustic if you really need to get into it. Might find some material online too.

If it seems like you're heading down this path in a semi-serious way, post more specifics of your situation, and we might be able to offer more focused advice.

Jan 31, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 6
You might be able to get some budget solutions, but the more you spend, the more you'll get out of it. Phil has some solid suggestions. Consider them!

For pre-built components, check Music Direct or Acoustic Sounds. The next more serious consideration would be to go to EchoBusters site and see what they have available. Lots of good reading there as well.

I would also highly suggest going to AudioAsylum and digging through the Rives Audio forum. Rives rocks, as far as I'm concerned. They do this for a living.

AND, once you know what your plan is, don't forget to google some DIY solutions. There are tons of ways to build your own panels and such.

Enjoy your journey!

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #6 of 6
You might also want to try searching and looking at older posts at the Gearslutz.com Studio Construction & Acoustics forum. There are a few people there with loads of experience in building and treating spaces for recording/listening there. The owners of companies that provide acoustic solutions such as RealTraps and GIK post there regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back