Soundmatters foxL v2 Portable Speakers
Feb 22, 2011 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

budgetboy

100+ Head-Fier
I know this doesn't belong in this section, but there's no other place to put it. Also, I figure that people who are into portable audio might have some insight into portable speakers.

Here is what I was looking at.
http://www.amazon.com/Soundmatters-foxLv2-Pocket-sized-Audiophile-Loudspeaker/dp/B0030XNBHS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I am totally ok with it not being "audiophile quality" - its portable.

My question is - is it worth it? And what alternatives are there in the size and price range?

Right now I'm using this:
http://www.amazon.com/XMI-XMINI2-X-Mini-Capsule-Speaker/dp/B001UEBN42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298412828&sr=8-1

So anything is an upgrade.

Thanks

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 10
I picked up a FoxL V2 (non-BT version) a couple of weeks ago, in preparation for a six week trip back east, and knowing that my old Altec X1s would drive me insane after that much straight listening time in a hotel room...

I think the little sucker sounds fantastic, but if you want an opinion from someone with truly golden ears, LFF spent a couple of hours auditioning the FoxL with some FLAC recordings, using my Acer netbook / external HDD  -> PICO USB DAC -> PICO Amp -> Fox.  PM him if you're interested.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #5 of 10
Impressions? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 10
this is the best sounding portable speaker ive heard.
better than: 
-any jbl portable docking stations.
-monster clarity hd speaker
-any burger speakers

been using this for my small room, not room filling, but the quality meets the standards of an audiophile speaker brands. Lows are full, warm sound, smooth.
distorts sometimes at TOO MUCH volume, which speaker doesnt??? right?

for movies, 5/5.
for music, 4.5/5.

havent heard anything better than this in terms of sound quality.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 10
I can honestly say that this is one the most used pieces of audio gear I have.  I am very happy with the quality of sound coming out of this little speaker and it's "loud enough" for it's intended uses.  I've used mine to improve the sound quality of watching movies on the go such as from my laptop, portable hd tv, and Ipod/Iphone.  I mostly use it for listening to music during outdoor activities such as while bbq'ing or just enjoying a few beers with friends. Very happy and impressed with mine. 

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 10
Wow, thanks for the impressions guys. This little beauty is definitely going on my "to buy" list.

While we're on the topic of portable speakes, the Altec Lansing IMT800 "Mix" speaker system sounds great for the price, and never fails to impress at parties and social events, if you can handle the size. Bass is boomy but powerful.

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #9 of 10
I spent some time listening to BRBJackson's FoxL and it does indeed sound amazing for its small size. It has to be the best portable speaker I have ever heard. The only downside IMHO, is the price.

If you want similar sound quality, don't mind a mono output and want to save some serious change, then please read this review of the Spider Pocket Speaker.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #10 of 10
Does it really stack up in terms of sound quality? I know price doesn't equal performance, but I imagine a $40 speaker vs a $150 one should be no contest at all. Not to put down the Spider in any way, I'm sure its awesome for the price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back