SoundMagic PL50 vs Marantz HP101
Dec 10, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 10
Dec 10, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 10
The RE0 has better highs, but the pl50 comes ahead in fit, comfort, and build quality. The RE0 has sound quality that punches well above its price point (though so does the pl50 to a lesser extent) but its built about as well as a $10 chinese earbud. IEMs should come as a well rounded package, a philosophy head-direct has yet to adopt.

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the help everyone. Will probably go with the PL50's rather than the Marantz's. So far I've had Sennheiser CX-300s which I didn't like the bass on, and Audio Technica ATH-CKM50s which were good, so hopefully these will be a step up. 

For people that have had the PL50's, are the cables strong? I haven't found any long-term reviews, and I reckon its pretty important that the cable usually lasts at least a year, as the warranty doesn't cover cable wear and tear, which is crap cos if the cables are crap and wear out fast then the headphones don't work. (Which happened to the ATH-CKM50s but only after 2 years)

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
For people that have had the PL50's, are the cables strong? I haven't found any long-term reviews, and I reckon its pretty important that the cable usually lasts at least a year, as the warranty doesn't cover cable wear and tear, which is crap cos if the cables are crap and wear out fast then the headphones don't work. (Which happened to the ATH-CKM50s but only after 2 years)

Well, I don't have the PL50, but I do have a PL21 which apparently has similar but slightly thinner cables.  I have no worries about the strength of the thinner PL21 cable.  First, it's not that thin, and second, it's really, really soft, no stiffness in there.  I'm sure it'll last a pretty long time.

Granted, I've only had it for 6 months or so and I don't really travel with it, but it looks like a pretty tough cable.

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 10
Had the pl50 before, and I felt the cables were quite good. The were nice and springy, and seemed to be sweat resistant. On the whole, it's a very well built IEM at it's price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back