*SoundMAGIC PL50 Review*
May 20, 2011 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones
PL50 Review
amazing IEM's

well i just bought some PL50's off a fellow headfier, and I've had them in all last night and all day today, I'm really loving them. they come in quite a nice package, small and simple, and lots of accessories, 7 pairs of tips, 3 foam, 4 silicone, a carry case (very handy and hard) and over ear clips (i prefer without).

will keep this review as small as possible.

tested with lots of genres through a Clip+ all at 320kbps

Comfort: they are sooooo comfy, and the fit is amazing. i really do love how these sit in your ear, i can wear them for a long time with no pain, i don't even notice they are there.

Build: i think they feel very sturdy, and should last a while, but only time will tell.

micro-phonics: very low, if not zero, because of the over the ear design.

(as you see i have 12mm tunnels)

Sound:

Sound-stage: i really like the sound-stage and imaging on these, i can hear where all the different sounds from the instruments are coming from, and the instrument separation is amazing,

Lows: wow very nice lows, that reach quite deep and have nice punch when needed, they are very controlled and fast, i love the lows, i was expecting them to be a lot less bassy than they are, i only need a +3db bass boost on rockboxed clip+.

Mids: the best part of them, so smooth and forward, works great with acoustic music, and all vocals, i mainly listen to rock and these are pretty good. i has surprised me on quite a few songs, because they sound so good!

Highs: very nice too, not to rolled of, and some sparkle, but i use a +4db treble boost because i like highs. they sound really nice with the settings i have. symbols are realistic, and it all sounds really good, and fairly balanced.

they are sooo small!!!!

well in conclusion, they are great for the price, and work well with most genres. these will stay with me until they break, then i may even get another pair.

i would definitely recommend these to anyone looking for fairly balanced sound for a cheap price, and looking for comfort too.

i can use these in lessons too (one side in only), without the teacher seeing, which is also a plus :)

Sorry for the pic quality (phone pics)

Fellow headfier: Oscar

May 20, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #3 of 13
shame about your label on yours coming off, and thanks, i do like writing reviews. and tips for making it better?

May 20, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #4 of 13
The pl50 has to be one of the worse iems i have ever tried. very hard to get a good fit, the sound is flat and dry and nasty.

May 20, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
The pl50 has to be one of the worse iems i have ever tried. very hard to get a good fit, the sound is flat and dry and nasty.

Sorry to hear you didn't like them, but your view seems to be the polar opposite to nearly everyone else who's reviewed it, and to mine too...I will admit I didn't like any of the included tips, but if you swap them out for better ones, it's hard to beat the fit you get with these.  The biggest problem I had with the sound signature was that it was rather congested and somewhat muddy...but still, overall, they're fairly well balanced, especially for a single BA driver.

And randomkid, I think you should proofread it a little more, I found several spelling mistakes in the review.  That's the only advice I can think of right now. :p

May 20, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #6 of 13
well thats your opinion, i managed to get a really good fit very easily, and i like the sound, to me it doesnt sound dry at all, and its fairly balanced, but very fun sounding at the same time

May 20, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:

Sorry to hear that. I had the Pl50 for quite a while and it is one of my favorite IEM's. That's the beauty of this game - all of the impressions are so personal - one person's favorite is another's least favorite. It does not however make them objectively bad...

randomkid - I agree with your review. Glad you like them.

May 21, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #9 of 13
i really love them with acoustic music, it just sound so right. They work well with nearly all genres, the bass is fast enough for metal, the only genres that suffer a bit are electronica and drum and bass because of the lack of low bass. Overall a very good buy, i'm in love with them.

May 21, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #10 of 13
I really don't like them much for classical though.  They just add too much of a...metallic tinge to everything.  Makes everything sound a little too congested, and doesn't extend high or low enough for some parts (sub-bass rumble is important for certain pieces).  I feel they're better for things like rock and electronic music.

May 21, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #11 of 13
It's a good buy, but the only reason I don't have a pair of them yet is I like much more fun-sounding earphones with a strong low end (I listen mostly to Hip hop/electronic). Glad to see that you like it though, SoundMagic does make very nice earphones, and to me, some of the most comfortable earphones out there.

May 22, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 13
yep, they are good for rock.

I let my gran use them, and she might get some too, as they are so comfy and sound good with most music. Another convert to better sound :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back