SoundMagic PL12 - Review + Awesome Mod
May 31, 2009 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

robjrock

100+ Head-Fier
Sound Magic PL12

Well there has been a lot of talk about the SoundMagic Pl30s but not much on the lesser-numbered models. Recently I was looking for a back-up IEM for my Phonak Audeo PFEs. I thought about Creative Ep-630s (which I used to own) Creative Ep 830s or Head-Direct RE2... however in the end I took a punt a picked up the bargain basement £8 (delivered) SoundMagic PL12s. Out of the box I wasn't really blown away with the sound, but I felt there was more inside. So here's my pre-mod + post mod review.

Just for reference, most of this review was done listening to my Samsung P3 using 256kbit MP3s for the most part. I sometimes used my Fiio E3 as well. I also own a set of Phonak PFEs, Super.Fi 3s and Koss KSC75s.

Out Of The Box:

Well my initial impressions was wow, comes with lots of accessories. Hell the included headphone winder, carry pouch and detachable clip (to help reduce cable noise) could set you back £8 alone. (an accessory pack with free headphones?)

I had literally been listening to my KSC75s (kramer modded) when the postman hit the door bell. When I plugged them in, I was surprised by the sound, it was pretty bad. Big lower-mid emphasis, grainy and muddled. Bass was scarce and sounded very blah, and the highs weren't very present. However, the included medium were a good fit; comfortable & the sound isolation passed the 'walk-through-central-London' test. Already I didn't feel ripped off, but man they took some serious EQing to sound decent.

So as I got to work I let them play for the rest of the day in my locker. 8 hours later...

Let me tell you, if you don't believe in 'burn-in' these headphones will change your mind. They really sounded different, much more open and less grainy and muddled. When I got home I switched to the flange tips (included) and found the bass impact to be much better. My only other experience with flanges were on my SF3s, and I found them very painful and unpleasant. This time however the flanges felt just fine.

The Samsung P3 has a 'clarity' enhancement in its DSNe settings, as well as bass boost and customizable EQ – very comparable to the BBE effects on Cowon players (I used to own a D2, the two effects are very similar.) These took the enhancements very well, increasing the punch of the bass and overall clarity. I don't use such enhancements on my PFEs, but heck, they are like 12x the price.

Okay, listening to the EQ flat with my Fiio E3, here's my analysis after 8 hours burn in.

Bass – Without EQ there ain't much bass, but what's there isn't bad quality. Its reasonably tight and sinks low enough without being too tubby. For £8 not bad. However most people will need to use an EQ to get it to a punchy, fun level.

Mids – Very recessed. Guitars and lead instruments sound pretty grainy & lack realism. Vocals sound distant, but are warm enough to satisfy most people. Singers don't have that intensity you find in balanced armature drivers, but again, I remind you of the price.

Highs – Probably the weakest point. Highs are rolled off and the realism just isn't there. Thankfully they aren't painful and clangy, just a bit nowhere. Also sibilance is quite well controlled.

Soundstage – Not bad for IEMs. On a 2D plane (up down left right) they hold there own with any other IEM, but the 3RD dimension (forward and back) are muddled or just non-existent. This is hardly unusual though. One thing I will say is that the soundstage is remarkably wide: wider than any other IEM I've owned.

Comfort, Isolation and Built Quality – Comfort is good, if you are familiar with IEMs then these will suit you just fine. Not as comfy as some, but better than my SF3s, which cost 8x more. Isolation is good, again as good as any basic set of in ear phones (CX300s etc) Build quality is hard to say at this early stage but they seem pretty good. As my next-cheapest can, my KSC75s beat the un-modded PL12s hands down, in every respect, except sound isolation of course.

Part 2.

Well, long story short, I started fiddling around with them because they sound wasn't really doing it for me. I tried opening them up to let some air in behind the drivers: big mistake, they sounded terrible. Next I noticed how thick and weird looking the 'grill' is that closes the 'pipe' where the sound comes out. So I removed it: instant improvement. But still the sound was too distant and unrefined. So I used a Stanley knife and shortened the tube. This was inspired by two things. One, the Kramer Shure E2c mod where you shave down the tube. Also I looked at pictures of the PL30s (2x price of Pl12s) and noticed the tube was a lot shorter.

After cutting the thinner part of the tube you lose the part which the tips sit on. So you have to stretch the bi-flanges over the thicker part of the tube. Unfortunately with this mod you can't really use the normal tips because when they are stretched out the fit is too small and a bit painful, but the bi-flanges work really well.

Overall the sound is almost completely different. The final part of the mod involved slipping a very small piece of foam in the tunnel so protect the drivers and control the sound a little. This last part is definitely optional. Keep the foam as small and thin as possible, is my tip.

The two things that really change are the bass and mids. If the PL30s sound anything like this I think I understand what all the fuss is about! The bass is deep, with nice impact, with the right blend of boom and tight doof (excuse the descriptions, I'm doing my best!) The mids are very very warm, very coloured but sound really good. Guitars are gooey and intense, vocals are forward and well presented. Soundstage is weaker, the previously wide soundstage is been narrowed, and its still a little muddled, but hey, can't have it all right?

Treble is recessed which is probably a good thing, since when EQed in it sounds tinny and bad. Obviously these babies are tuned for bass & mids. They sound great with a flat EQ, some may even find the bass a bit too heavy. The thing I can't believe is just how different they sound, its like a completely different pair of 'phones. They have gone from being a pair that I wouldn't have really bothered using to a pair that have rightfully earned their place alongside my higher-end models.

If you are thinking about this mod, a couple of points:

Don't do it if you don't like bi-flanges.
Don't do it if you like the stock sound.
They don't sound analytical at all, the sound is coloured as hell. But in a good way.
It will naturally void your warranty.
Be careful stretching the flanges over the thicker piping – they rip easily.

Pics to come if anyone is interested. Thanks for reading.

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 16
Thanks for your short long review
I agree the treble is little rolled off but the PL12 isn’t the very best out of the box in fact they are a slightly colored (warm) than PL30.
For an easy fast mod, uncored Shure foam will also bring much improvement over the sound. Really worth a try. Just the mediums I’ve tried was little uncomfortable due the wide stem expanded the foam more than normal.
Btw sure I would like to see what you did with your PL12. Will explain things more clearly.

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 16
DSCF2318.JPG

DSCF2319.JPG

DSCF2320.JPG

Unfortunately I've had some issues with the left channel dropping out, presumably because of me opening up the backs... a bit of soldering hasn't solved the problem yet. BTW the bi-flanges are from my SF3s as I lost the ones that came with the buds... doh!
Still think these sound great. Would love to try the shure's on these but I don't have any lying around...

Jun 10, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by headguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do bi-flanges come with the pl-12

Yes they do. I just couldn't find them when taking the photos, so I used the ones from my SF3s... I think they look kinda cool.

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 16
Very nice writeup. Just need more reviews for the other 19 models in the Soundmagic's Lineup now
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by robjrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the PL30s sound anything like this I think I understand what all the fuss is about!

Yes, that's exactly what the PL30s sound like.

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes they do, or at least the PL20, PL30 and PL11's have em

They actaully similar to those we buying for the triple.fi's on ebay.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Sayajin, how to the pl12s compare to the PL20?

More warm and forward soundstage. PL20 is cold and thin than the others and has more fatigue treble btw. I think the supplying tips don't do well, bi flanges don't help much either. They need better tips and good isolation to sound their best.
At least I've found housing better build than PL12. Cable is same thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterControversy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would they compare to the PL11's? And would it be possible to sand the tube a little bit thinner so you could use regular tips?

Simply removing the grill at the front of the tube (which can be done easily with a pin, but is not reversible) works pretty well to help the sound. In fact that is probably 50% of the mod (its far to thick and really muffles the sound)

I haven't heard the PL11s but the 11s are meant to be the bass heavy brother of 12. However after to mod the 12s become bass monsters. So I'm thinking they probably have the same driver, but are housed in different casing to alter the sound...
happy_face1.gif

Jun 14, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Simply removing the grill at the front of the tube (which can be done easily with a pin, but is not reversible) works pretty well to help the sound. In fact that is probably 50% of the mod (its far to thick and really muffles the sound)

I haven't heard the PL11s but the 11s are meant to be the bass heavy brother of 12. However after to mod the 12s become bass monsters. So I'm thinking they probably have the same driver, but are housed in different casing to alter the sound...
happy_face1.gif

That's sweet! I was thinking of buying some cheapo IEMs of which i could mod for experimentation, and these seem to be them. Thanks!

Dec 14, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #14 of 16
I just got myself some PL12's as I wanted to try the soundmagic sound but dont like behind the ear so the PL30 and 50 were out. Got them for £13 delivered from Hong Kong.

The reason why I got them was because I thought I had lost my Yuin PK3's. To be honest i thought the sound was OK as I only had the memory of my pK's until last night when I found them behind the seat of my car!

Well, when I compaired the Pl12's to the Yuins there was no comparison the bass was awfull on the Pl12's with the Yuins sounding so warm and full. Only comparison was to me listing to a proper HIfi with decent speakers to a small room midi system.

So I was dissapointed with my Pl12;s which I decided I would use when I need IEMs for on an aircraft or outside, but I thought "what the hell" I would try this mod. All I can say is WOW it has made a difference. It seems like I was late for a concert and can hear the music in the foyer and just opened the door! Everything is more detailed, more base and soundstage. it seems like I have moved in towards the stage am am now on the front row. The tube was definately too long!

I am not sure if they are better than the Yuins at this stage (just different), the base is not as warm but boy this mod made a difference. I am also using the single sleeves with the mod and it works well. Sealing not the best but its cumfy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back