SoundMAGIC P11S On-Ear: $20 Miracles
May 19, 2016 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

glove4

100+ Head-Fier
Purchased these on Amazon recently for $20 including one-day Prime shipping. I wasn't expecting these to be as good as they've turned out to be. These should be on any short list for budget audiophile quality on-ear portable headphones. 

I'm going to keep this review short. 

Build quality is good. Pretty much what I expected of a budget portable headphone. They seem like they should hold up over time with careful use. 

Comfort has been good as well. On ear headphones can cause discomfort sitting on your ears after some time. These achieve just the right level of pressure against your head without overdoing it. Haven't noticed any pain yet with them on for thirty minutes. 

Sound Quality: 

These seem tough to drive with my phone and as such would benefit from an amp. Obviously they're meant for portable use and do an admirable job, but be prepared to have your volume up to middle or just beyond to get best results. 

These achieve a near perfect balance for me. I'll just say upfront that these are not for bassheads. The sub-bass is punchy and exudes quality over quantity. There is no mid-bass veil, something that hinders the similarly priced Monoprice Hi-Fi On Ear headphones. I really enjoy the Monoprice for their spacious sound, more spacious than should be found on an on-ear model, let alone one for $15, but while it excels with punchy sub-bass, and no obvious mid-bass bloat, the mids have a "wooly" veil over them that I can't always get into. It makes for easy listening, and that is what the Monoprice is great for, and rivals many others twice as much (Steve Guttenberg from Cnet says they perform better than others approaching $100), but the veil over the mids doesn't always work well for mids-dominated music like metal, which I listen to most of the time. The P11S, on the other hand, achieves the punchy sub-bass without any mid-bass bloat to speak of, and without the "warm" veil that protrudes over the mids. The mids are neither upfront nor recessed, situated just right to my ears. I'm not a big fan of the overly accentuated V signatures of some budget-oriented headphones and in-ears. While mids are not upfront, they are exceptionally smooth and inoffensive, making the P11S a rather relaxed listen. The highs are just right, with no obvious harshness, no sibilance. The P11S are just exceptionally balanced, but a "fun" sort of balanced, not analytical by any means. Soundstage isn't exceptionally big on these, but come close to the Monoprice On-Ears. I'm just blown away at the quality of these for less than $20. 

There is not much information on these, however. They seem to have been released in 2015, but are only available on Amazon for US buyers it seems. SoundMAGIC's website doesn't seem to work at the moment either, as I went there looking for further info. All in all, I have to say that I'm really impressed by these on-ear portables. These are an absolute steal for budget-audiophiles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back