SoundMAGIC on-ears users: How have you cans stood up over time?
May 16, 2015 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Deed

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm asking this question because I'm after a pair of on-ears for/under £50.  Ever since I bought a pair of PX100s years ago, I'd been eyeing up AKGs, after not really liking the Senns until they broke after half a year or so.  When I looked at AKG's offerings again, I noticed that their Y series were within my price range and a good few users here seemed to like the Y50s, saying that both those and the Y40s sounded like an upgrade.

I was suddenly dead-set on the Y50s in particular, but then I came across a YouTube review that was both more thorough than others and was sorely disappointed with their sound and overall performance.

I've noticed that SoundMAGIC's on-ears seem to get some praise for their sound and construction, but I've also heard that the brand's durability is very hit-and-miss.  For one, if the cable goes, then I'd suddenly wish that I had the AKGs for their detachable cable.  However, if there's little chance of today's SMs falling to pieces, then I might get some P21s instead.  By the look of it, I'd be able to get either pair for around £50 and I'd likely be trading sound quality for durability, a detachable cable and possibly isolation levels.

In a nutshell, for those of you who have SM's on-ears, are you as happy with them as you were initially? Anybody had experiences with both those and newer AKGs?

May 16, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 3
My SoundMagic HP150s just broke after just under 6 months of daily (but easy) use.  The plastic connecting the left phone to the main body snapped.

Great sounding headphone, but I can't use it if it's broken.  :)

Brian.

May 16, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 3
Six months? **** man, I can abuse my gear on the go, so it'd need to be built to last.  If that's gonna be a trend in this thread, then I think my choice will be very simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back