Soundmagic E10 or Sennheiser CX 300-ii?
Dec 25, 2014 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

atikin

Head-Fier
Hello.
I own Soundmagic E10 for like two months. Beforehand I had Panasonic RP-HJE120, which I liked a lot (also it lacked a bit bass imo). Soundmagic's are good overall, but I'm not satisfied with their mid-bass and sound isolation. I've listened to Shure Se215 of my friend, but didn't like them so much. Although the sound is great, it's a bit dark for me, and my ears are kinda small for such earphones.
So I thought of buying Sennheiser CX 300-ii as a upgrade to Soundmagic's. I've heard they are pretty good with a nice bass. Will it really be a good upgrade or is it waste of money? Is there other suggestions in this price range?

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 15
The Soundmagic E10 hands down, even when you were deaf.

They will Destroy the Sennheisers into the ground untill they appear at the other end of the world.

The Sennheisers have too much bass, which isnt even good. Its too boomy and "muddy". The treble is too much and distorts quickly.

The Soundmagic are MUCH (!!!) more balanced, and MUCH more clean. Its a whole different class.

Getting the Sennheiser will be a big step down from the soundmagic.

If you want to be in that pricerange, there are 4 that are really good:
Soundmagic E10
Xiaomi Piston 2
Havi B3 Pro (one of the best pu to 200 bucks), but very neutral/clean
Vsonic VSD3S (bassy)

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 15
So yeah, I hurried to buy new phones and didn't wait enough to see your replies before I do so. You were absolutely right. Although Sennheisers cx 300-ii are a good phones in general, SMs beat them flat! Sennheiser's treble is so awful! It makes music "hissy" and painful to listen to. I liked their basses, though, but they're not better than those of Soundmagics.
By the way, I've got the genuine model, in case someone thinks I don't like them because they're fake.

Anyway, I want to hear more people who hearted both Sennheiser cx 300-ii and Soundmagic E10. What's better in your opinion and why?

And what other options can you guys suggest as a better phones than Soundmagic E10, with more bass (but a good one; and not too much) under 100$?

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 15
Better than E10 and below 100? none.
Max equally good, but more bassy? Try V-Sonic VSD3S. This one is said to be pretty bassy, but really good.

Maybe Shure SE 215? Also a nice, and very robust bass-head inear. If you can live with a sometimes annoying "peak" at 5 Khz~. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #6 of 15
No, I don't like Shure se215. My friend has them, so he gave me them for several days to try. The sound is pretty good, of course (although kinda dark for me) , but the earphones themselves are too big and uncomfortable for my ears.

OK, and what's better than E10 under, say, 150$? Just so I know for the future.

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #7 of 15
EDIT: I didn't know you already had E10. Nevermind. Don't get the CX 300 II. It's not worth the extra 30 dollars. Go do yourself a favor and get either the Yamaha EPH 100 or Sennheiser Momentum In ears. Saw the thread wrong. Soz -.-

WIll be fully blunt with you.

I tried both the Soundmagic E10 ($36) and Sennheiser CX 300 II (28$)
Both sound VERY different from each other. In fact, they sound COMPLETELY different.
In other words, PREFERENCE is what precedes here.

For the general audiophile public, it seems that Soundmagic E10 is the better choice.
In fact, even I won't deny that Soundmagic E10 has the better sound quality and the better "build quality look"

However, at the end of the day, I had to go with the CX 300 II.
1. the Sennheiser pouch is addicting (lol?)
2. the bass is more "bam" ish which is nice
3. for japanese anime songs, the sennheisers in general just seemed to sound better (if you dont listen to japanese anime, then soundmagic will almost always sound better)
4. Build quality on both seemed fragile but CX 300 II after a while just seemed more "long lasting" despite its rubber looks. In fact, Soundmagic E10 lasts in average 6-8 months while CX 300 II apparently in average lasts just over 2 years (26-28 months) <= this is the general consensus
5. CX 300 II has a 2 year warranty while Soundmagic is 1 year.
6. I just feel like I can trust the company "sennheiser" more with the "durability" issues. I don't care how much better E10 sounds if it breaks twice as fast as CX 300 II.
7. It's a bloody 8 dollars cheaper than E10!

The CX 300 II sound more "immersive" like other forums say. What it means is...
It sounds like the main vocals are coming within your brain (weird right?). It's a nice feeling that to me, is :)
The Soundmagic E10 does not have this "immersive' feeling at all. In fact, instead, it has a really big "openness" feeling to them. You feel with Soundmagic that you are listening from outside the concert (but far away -.- ).

Of course this is all due to sound signature. Both are great earphones. In fact, as of sound quality, Soundmagic does sound better but the difference really is exaggerated. To me, it does not justify paying 8 dollars more. Really, that's how big the actual difference is. In fact, both are SUPERB earphones. I compared the CX 300 II to those 150-200 dollar beats and 300 dollar 'fashion earphones' and I can tell you with confidence, both these earphones are in another dimension when compared to those popular Beats, Bose, Jay, Adidas.

Also, what these forum members forget to tell you is that both  CX 300 II and E10 has enough sound capabilities to make similar signature of each other. In fact, just root your smartphone or whatever and download "Viper4Android" and you can get that "surround" feel from the CX 300 II <ofc it can never fully reproduce E10's sound signature>
(E10 can't get that immersive even with it :frowning2:   )

Thus. If you prefer the vocals coming within your brain, pick the Sennheiser CX 300 II.
If you prefer the vocals coming far from a 25 mile radius (a concert), pick the E10.
<both have fabulous sound quality and those "differences" are really exaggerated. Trust me, the E10 does have better sound quality but seriously, the differences aren't as great as people make them>

If you are willing to spend around 100 dollars IEM,
ofc the obvious choice is to go :
1. Yamaha EPH 100
2. Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear (it got nice looks btw too :)   )

Sound wise:
Soundmagic E10 >= Sennheiser CX 300 II > Xiaomi Pistons
Comfort wise:
Sennheiser CX 300 II >> Soundmagic E10 > Xiaomi Pistons
Cost wise:
Xiaomi Pistons > Sennheiser CX 300 II = Soundmagic E10
Build quality wise:
Xiaomi Pistons > Soundmagic E10 > Sennheiser CX 300 II
Durability wise:
Xiaomi Pistons = Sennheiser CX 300 II  >> Soundmagic E10
Warantee wise:
Sennheiser CX 300 II >> Soundmagic E10

**Note that E10's sound quality difference become noticeable on songs with MANY different instrument layers. Both are good but E10 is much better when a song has over 3-4 individual instruments. E10 loses on "immersive" but has the ability to show "many different instruments." <CX can do it too but E10 just does better in this aspect>
tbh, if CX 300 costs more than 32 dollars, get the Soundmagic E10. But if it is 27-29 dollars, stay with the CX 300 II. It's not worth the upgrade. Trust me, that 6 dollar difference is better saved on your new foot long Subways sandwich. Cause seriously both these entrey earphones are so good that they are both steals for the price.

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #9 of 15
About the Yamaha EPH 100.
I am sorry but I didn't realize Yamaha came with a newer edition very recently

Yamaha EPH M200 is the new one. Also comes with a mike
cool.gif
(ordered it right now)
Apparently, it is also cheaper than EPH 100 in Amazon and in the website.
Hahahahaha, funny how the better earphone is cheaper

Anyways, around 100
Yamaha EPH M200 with extended warantee (I'm assuming this is better if not the same at least sound quality wise as the previous version, EPH 100 by default)
RHA MA750
VSonic GR07 (bass edition if you want bass)
Sennheiser Momentum (cause it is Sennheiser and cause momentum is a hype)
and maybe
Audio-Technica ATHCK7

are probably the best ones around
ofc Shure 215 also but it seems you don't like that as much so I took it out.

and tbh, ur soundmagic e10 is probably the best under 50.
u want a better earphone but the problem is from there, it is 100+.
Sorry for previous post. Didn't read correcctly :)

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #10 of 15
What about JBL Synchros s200? Somebody listened? How is it in comparison to Soundmagic E10? I'm looking for upgrade which will have the clarity of Soundmagic E10, but more bass (not muddy one), and thought of those. Any thoughts?

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 15
Not me, but i have heared the full size headphone Synchros S 700. i found them horrible. Way too much bass, and i had to search for some mids.. sounded quite dull to me. Just like something isnt right.

If you want more bass, maybe try the vsd3s from vsonic, or TTPOD T1 E

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 15
Can anyone suggest better option from Sennheiser CX 5.00i vs SoundMagic E10C?
I mostly listen to rock, pop and classics. I like little bit more base but clarity is more inportant i guess.
Any preferences?

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #14 of 15
Can anyone suggest better option from Sennheiser CX 5.00i vs SoundMagic E10C?
I mostly listen to rock, pop and classics. I like little bit more base but clarity is more inportant i guess.
Any preferences?

I like the E10C for your purposes (I own it). One more really good one in your price range is the Beyerdynamic Byron. You should definitely check it out--it is terrific also. In this price range, the two clear bests are the E10C and the Byron, in my opinion. The CX5.00i is good, but the other two are better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back