Soundcards: X-Fi vs. C-Media?
May 18, 2007 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

7even

Head-Fier
I'm trying to decide on a new audio card for my PC. I used to use an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 and I thought that sounded good until I upgraded to Vista (getting used to the cheap onboard sound again was a painful few days..) I've pretty much narrowed it down to two choices. On one hand there's the Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic for $70, and on the other there's the Sondigo Inferno for $80.

I'm going to be primarily listening to music/watching movies using the analog outputs, with some occasional gaming. My main equipment is some decent-sounding Logitech Z560 4.1s from a few years ago. I already have a few LM4562 opamps here to stick on an X-Fi if I convince myself to finally get that card but of course having great sound out of the box without voiding any warranties right away is a plus. So which card would be better?

I've read a ton of reviews and threads on every possible forum and I still can't really make up my mind. To add to the confusion, everyone just keeps bringing up the (clearly superior) Auzentech X-Meridian, but that card is really out of my pricerange.

Thanks for nudges in either direction
lambda.gif

May 18, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 7
Looks like Inferno will be better for your needs.

May 19, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #3 of 7
Sweet. Anyone else? I saw a review on TechReport where they basically chose an X-Fi over the Inferno for the overall "balanced" sound quality (and an X-Meridian over both). Could a modded X-Fi be a sure win?

May 19, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 7
Why mod a X-Fi and risk to damage it when for just few more dollar you can have better with X-Meridian ?

We only mod when the only option to have better is something far more expansive.

May 19, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why mod a X-Fi and risk to damage it when for just few more dollar you can have better with X-Meridian ?

We only mod when the only option to have better is something far more expansive.

"Few more"? The difference is $90-100
frown.gif

May 24, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #7 of 7
Congrats! At least you know your soundcard will scale up well as you get better acoustic equipment
smily_headphones1.gif
You pretty much can't do better as far as consumer soundcards are concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back