Soundcards solutions for gaming computer and HTPC
Jun 10, 2005 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

kelbern

New Head-Fier
I have a few questions to help me decide on what sound setup I should have for a few boxes of mine

For those who have a X-mystique or soundstorm and an audigy 2 - which gives you a better "gaming experience" the digital or analog (assuming equivilant recievers and speakers)

For those who have a X-Mystique and Soundstorm which one sounds better and has the best game compatibility

For those who have an Audigy and AV-710 which is best for positional audio in a game using the same headphones and an amp for the AV-710?

At the moment i'm thinking:

-The Soundstorm is the best digital solution mainly due to compatibility.
-Digital is better than the analog output of the audigy even without EAX etc.
-The AV-710 would be best for the positional audio in games as it is clearer

Is the above right?

If it is i'll buy a digital reciever - hook up my soundstorm to it (for both the games and HTPC) and buy an AV-710 for lanning on the game machine. Later when i hope to go to dual core for the games machine i will throw in a X-Mystique or whatever is available then.

Also there was a post where one person has looped the Audigy to the AV-710, what exactly does this do ( i will also continue to check that thread if it answered there)

thankyou for you help

Jun 10, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 17
My PC is a combined workstation, gaming rig, and HTPC. My Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro works fine for all those aspects. If it's weak in any area, it would be on the music recording side.

For gaming, I have a 5.1 system, and the EAX + surround sound is just awesome, particularly in HL2 and BFV.

For HTPC, I send the digital out on a real long cable over to the entertainment center. (For video, I'm using the ATI component dongle, sending its output also to the ent center.) DVD's sound (and look) fantastic.

Jun 11, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #3 of 17
cheers

but have you been able to compare the audigy to soundstorm at all? I have no doubt that is sounds great but whether it is better wiht soundstorm is what i would like to know...

Jun 11, 2005 at 7:56 AM Post #4 of 17
If you want a significant step up in quality maybe you should think about getting away from Creative and getting a soundcard such as the Revo 5.1 - it works fine in games and has very good sound quality.

The Audigy 2 ZS is fine if you want EAX etc, but purely from an sound quality point of view take a look at the Revo 5.1 (not the 7.1).

Jun 12, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 17
I would like to try it out myself but i don't have the cash to buy an audigy and digital reciever with 5.1ch analog input as well and compare that to my soundstorm. Then buy and AV-710 and amp and compare that to the audigy for headphones

Just another quick question, a home theatre reciever would be better than any computer speakers you can get right? There are some cheap ones floating around but have a SNR or ~85, where as much better ones out there have an SNR of 100 - is it worth getting those wth only 85 SNR?

Another thing about SNR, the SNR on high end cards is about 106-108, this is 2 -3 times better than the SNR on the recievers i have seen, even some more expensive ones, surely the soundcards amps arent better than a good quality HT reciever...

cheers

Jun 14, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 17
I used the the AV-710 with Flight Simulator, and every time I revved the engine, I would hear a lot of pops and crackel. Went back to onboard audio which didn't have the problem.

Jun 14, 2005 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 17
hmmm - bugger about the AV-710...

i'm going to go soundstorm -> digital reciever.

I just need to know what would be the best soundcard for positional audio in games now... With the above comment on the AV-710 perhaps not that? This will be for lanning so i wont have my digital reciever with me and the soundstorms output isn't that great...

Jun 14, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #11 of 17
I'll be updating to the Mystique when i update my motherboard - when dual core becomes affordable...

also i think i forgot to mention the sounds card for positional audio when lanning will be used with headphones...

Jun 15, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tgunner
This one from turtle beach looks nice, but I don't know if it would have the same problem as the AV-710, seeing as how it uses the Envy 24 chip.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829118106

Or, for a cheaper turtle beach, there is this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829118103

A bit of searching reveals that apparently the Catalina is pretty much the same as a MadDog Entertainer 7.1 (thus not overly different from the AV-710) and that the Riviera is CMedia based.

Aug 8, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I have the HDA Digital Mystique 7.1. Dolby Digital Live is awesome. Finally, I can play Half-Life 2 in full Dolby Digital glory.

Movies work perfectly too.

There is a Turtle Beach one that is even cheaper too.

-Ed

Does the Turtle Beach do Dolby -> AC3 coding for digital out from games?

Also, have you tried the analog out of the Mystique? I have a friend looking for a replacement for his old Game Theater XP with aging (crashing) drivers. He's interested in gaming and movies.

Aug 9, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #15 of 17
you have to get something with dolby digital live or else you miss out on the 5.1 gaming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back