Soundcard
Sep 17, 2008 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

ernieball

New Head-Fier
Looking to upgrade form onboard sound. Equipment in sig.

PC Specs
Windows Vista 64bit
q6600 2.4ghz
asus p5k-e lga 775 intel p35 atx intel mobo
8800gt

Using foobar2k to play music and using all flac files.

Looking to run to my amp right now via rca input in the amp. I will eventually get a dac like the headroom one. Any suggestions? A link to somethign would be helpful. An explanation of what your showing me would be helpful as well. I read through some of the threads on here already and am getting somewhat of an idea on what im looking to get. I want to keep it around 200 but am willing to be flexible if its the right thing. Onboard sound is ugh.

edit: I play pc games...cs, battlefield, some others. also listen to a lot of music and watch some movies.

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #6 of 28
Xonar D2, or D2x. Auzentech X-Fi Prelude works to, but it could be unstable for vista sometimes. But highly recommend Xonar D2, you do't need the D2X if you aren't gaming, the only difference is one's PCi and ones PCI express and the D2 has EAX 2.0 Gaming Audio support, while the D2X has the new EAX 5.0. I recommend the Asus Xonar D2, it's like $60 cheaper or something than the D2X.

Sep 17, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #8 of 28
one quick question.

when using my 360, can i hook it up to the card in the s/pdif input? i assume the s/pdif output goes to my amp to its rca inputs. thus, when i play on my 360, i wont have to swap out whats hooked up to my amp since the soundcard will send pc or 360 sound to my amp.

or is there a better way to hook it up at the moment?

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 28
If you have not ordered yet wait a couple days , I just ordered a omega ht claro plus . Even though I like the burr brown on the d2x . I did have a fair amount of driver issues with it. Did not like the idea how it requires additional power and had no front i/o port ( I use the front i/o ports on my computer quite a bit since I change up head phones depending on what I am doing , even though I now switched to a speaker setup over headphones )

Negatives i know before getting it compared to the d2x is if you like the burr brown chip or not , and the omega uses PCI not pci e like the d2x does.

The cons of both , I have found it impossible to find a Claro + vs d2x where someone had owned both.

As for your recent question I am kind of confused on what you are talking about . could you explain a little further?

( Btw the way , rebates are a PITA sometimes , I built a new computer last nov and now know to just find the best deals with automatic rebates or just best price )

Keep in mind x-fi is still better for gaming since it gives you altered messed up sound with crappy drivers heh . But for games it is still better . I just went for a mix of both music / ht / games ( more heavier on music ) a card that was not creative and had a front I/O port.

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 28
i have an amp with one input. my pc and my 360 both go to it, but when i want to use one, i have to unplug the other. my question is...can i connect my 360 to my card with the s/pdif input that it has, then jsut connect the card to my amp through s/pdif output to the amp's rca input. im pretty sure i'll be able to select which source with the cards software. i could be wrong though.

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 28
yeah the D2X will take the 360's S/PDIF input and pass it out via RCA (it can be a D/A)

if you're going to do digital passthrough, that should work just fine as well, just make sure you enable things proper in the card (you'll prolly have to unmute some stuff, and the computer has to be on for the Xbox360 to get sound, aside from those two little bits, its no problem (my system is always on, so that doesn't bug me, but I know for some people, they shut the machine off))

as far as the digs against X-Fi, yeah, we had this debate in another thread, the general consenous is, head-fi hates Creative too much to see past its own nose, Vista x64 driver support sucks for basically everyone, and Creative has done what it can

now, the HT Omega Claro series is nothing special at all for gaming, and here's why:

its based on the CMI8788 which = Auzen X-Meridian, bgears benspirer (don't you feel jolly having just spent $160 on something that you could've gotten for $90?), and a few other boards

CMI8788 supports EAX 2.0 max, and its slow when running that
don't believe me?
Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 review

but unlike Asus (who based their AV200 off of the CMI8788), HT Omega doesn't have any modification to the chip or firmware/drivers, meaning there is no EAX 5.0 emulation support, and all of that jazz

as far as "only get the D2X if you're gaming", did anyone read his first post? or are we in the business of just ignoring everything the first post says, and just screaming "buy this i haz it"?

honestly, I'd get the D2X, it does everything you need it to, its got awesome quality, and it probably has the best (current) Vista support

NOW
as far as the PCIe vs PCI debate, there is no debate, because PCIe provides ZERO ADVANTAGES over PCI for current solutions (I know, I've had this debate to, only idiots will argue the whole "PCIe has more bandwidth")

lets see if I can just explain this away before some "genius" comes and tries to explain why PCIe cards will be faster:

ALL CURRENT CONSUMER AUDIO CHIPSETS (except X-Fi Titanium (EMU20k2)) ARE PCI BASED

which means your Xonar D2X and Xonar D2, use the exact same PCI based AV200 (CMI8788) processor, theres just a little bridging chip from TI or Intel or whomever that sits between the processor and the interface, this bridge chip connects to PCIe x1 or x4 at full bandwidth, and provides PCI output (meaning full bandwidth, of PCI, not PCIe), meaning that there is no performance gain (now, quality is another story, because a lot of people do note the D2X as the better sounding part, due to minor hardware revisions and minor firmware changes, as well as better drivers, whether or not this ever translates to the D2, who knows (it has gotten driver updates, thats for sure, including EAX 5.0 support, but they can't really revise hardware retroactively (at least not change hardware bought in the past, who knows if they updated the ones on shelves now))

NOW as far as the EMU20k2 goes, afaik its just a bridged PCI processor (since EMU20k1 is a PCI processor), so it also derives no benefit from PCIe, other than being able to use a PCIe slot

so please, can we not have some "genius" jump in and scream "no but if you get a PCIe card today, you'll be able to play 7.1 video games with 24/192khz audio and no lag because PCIe has BANNNNNNDWIDTH", no, you won't, because even if the processor is native (or "native") PCIe, nothing on the market can handle that much throughput (read, consumer market, the DSP systems from professional companies like SSL and Avid can do it, but they don't support OpenAL or DirectSound, you'd actually have to assign each channel to a mix bus and all of that joy (because those are pro interfaces))

I'd go with the D2X, in short, because it'll probably give you less trouble in Vista (otherwise I'd go with the X-Fi Prelude or X-Fi Elite Pro), and if the S/PDIF thing gives you some confusion, you know where head-fi is, lol

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #12 of 28
I enjoy my d2x very much. Once I got the drivers installed properly the only issue that remains is sometimes the sound of opening folders in xp sounds a bit different. They'll update again and everything will be fine. No problems with games as of yet, and no loss of frame rates compared to my old x-fi that I've noticed, but I haven't really done a close study of it. If anything, it's a negligible frame rate drop that you'd never notice. I only got the d2x over the d2 bexause I found a sweet deal and the pcie slot on my motherboard is in a more convenient spot. One thing though Obob, I could have sworn someone said pcie was good in the way that each slot has it's own path to itself with no other devices interfering in any way. Whether this matters in the real world I have no idea to be honest.

Sep 18, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ernieball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm gonna end up going with the d2x. read a couple good reviews. obobs write up put me over the edge on it. should have my rig sounding better by some time next weekend.

If you go that direction keep in mind in about a month here the new d2x is coming out ( its not the new d2x but the new asus sound card ) Xonar HDAV i think it is called.

Obo , the modification to it caused some serious driver problems for some people. And just because it uses the same chip does not mean it has the same features or is the same "card" in anyway . There is a lot more than 1 chip. There are a lot of features with the d2x which are not "fun" No front i/o support but the reason why I ended up ordering the claro plus also was because I did not like the idea I had to also connect the d2x to another power source ( floppy pin ) . and then there are things that do not matter like support for linux etc.

But I do agree with everything else you said.

I have both cards on the way I guess I will find out shortly which I enjoy more . For some reason regardless of what it "uses" I probably will not be able to tell a difference aside from the obvious stated before.

Sep 18, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #15 of 28
its the same audio processor, which means it carries all of those limitations, meaning its gaming performance is going to be nearly identical to the x-meridian (which i think most would agree is a better card, but its been out of production for some time)

the new xonar targets semi-professional users, or something of the like, not really sure on the specifics

i really wasn't trying to say the claro is horrible for quality, i was trying to say that for gaming, theres more options with more power in that price range

Users who are viewing this thread

Back