Soundcard with RCA digital out?
May 3, 2006 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

lator

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a quality sound card for outputting digital signal preferrably with RCA digital out. I don't want it to be USB. Price can be anything up to around 1000$. It would be paired with Musical Fidelity X-DAC v3. Thanks in advance.

May 5, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 15
I'm pretty sure that RCA is a dual mono signal so you won't be getting a digital signal that way. Someone else posted a thread looking for a soundcard with a coaxial output but there are not replies yet. I don't know so I can't help in this respect.

May 5, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip
The EMU-1212M has a RCA digital out. Thats what I use for my dac.

-Alex-

Hehe, just ordered one of those few days ago. Thanks for the input though
icon10.gif

May 5, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
The ESI Juli@ has both coax and optical digital outputs, and its drivers support ASIO natively. I've been very happy with mine.

Not really an answer to the main question, but I just think the the Juli@ looks like a very nice card and probably doesn't get the praise it deserves. I would opt for one of these over a E-MU (mainly 'cos I don't like the patchmix stuff).

I don't see many people with the ESI Juli@ or the M-Audio Audiophile 192 but from everything I have read they seem like very good cards. The Juli@ is more useful though as it has both balanced and unbalanced outputs.

May 5, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #8 of 15
Squeezebox 3..

May 5, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 15
Thing is that E-mu 1212m has onboard RCA output unlike ESI Juli@ and others which use the breakout cable which negates the purpose of high quality digital cables. Just a note if you care for such a thing.

But for music SqueezeBox (slimdevices.com) is better. From what I have read it has nearly ten times less jitter than the internal cards but it can't be used like a normal soundcard, just for music with a special software, so for now I use the E-mu.

May 8, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuhi
Thing is that E-mu 1212m has onboard RCA output unlike ESI Juli@ and others which use the breakout cable which negates the purpose of high quality digital cables. Just a note if you care for such a thing.

But for music SqueezeBox (slimdevices.com) is better. From what I have read it has nearly ten times less jitter than the internal cards but it can't be used like a normal soundcard, just for music with a special software, so for now I use the E-mu.

Could you give us the link where it says SqueezeBox has ten times less jitter than internal cards?

May 8, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 15
Sure,

E-Mu states jitter <1000ps while Slimdevices ~50ps, that's 20 times in favor of latter but folks at Stereophile measured for RME card around 600-700ps for RCA so I concluded 10 times.

E-Mu
"Ultra-low jitter, clock subsystem: < 1 ns" (1ns = 1000ps)

Slimdevices
"Intrinsic jitter: less than 50ps (standard deviation)"

Btw people at Slimdevices forum have measured and confirmed this.

May 9, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuhi
Sure,

E-Mu states jitter <1000ps while Slimdevices ~50ps, that's 20 times in favor of latter but folks at Stereophile measured for RME card around 600-700ps for RCA so I concluded 10 times.

E-Mu
"Ultra-low jitter, clock subsystem: < 1 ns" (1ns = 1000ps)

Slimdevices
"Intrinsic jitter: less than 50ps (standard deviation)"

Btw people at Slimdevices forum have measured and confirmed this.

Thanks!

If that's true, then Squeezebox will have even lower jitter than a well implemented USB-I2S-DAC or USB-SPDIF devices!

That Intrinsic jitter of <50ps, does that apply to its digital output as well?

May 9, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #15 of 15
My 1212M arrived today and I set it up temporarily with the analog card as well. Using budget interconnectors atm. with 1/4 to RCA adapters. Sounds surprisingly good considering the adapters. Cannot wait to get a DAC but think I will manage nicely these two months with 1212m alone before I can afford one
smily_headphones1.gif

If you have some advice with Patchmix that I should consider feel free to PM me or post this thread. I would be happy to hear your input. So far I have set up a session for 192Khz ASIO and 44.1Khz ASIO with Wave. Both are working without problems so far and sound impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back