soundcard vs DAC?
Nov 7, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
A good DAC is much better than any good sound card.

Sad but true

Nov 7, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #17 of 25
Although i'm sure better soundcards than the X-fi series are easily found, Creative basically has the monopoly in that basically all games use EAX. Therefore getting a card that can process that is important for gaming. Buying a better CPU doesn't replace having a sound card that can do EAX effectively, right?

Quote:

Best bang for gaming isn't buying a soundcard to process EAX, but buying a equivalent without DS3D/EAX processing and put the price difference in your (future) CPU.

Nov 8, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #18 of 25
Theres no PC signal-fiddling if the soundcard does bit-perfect.

So at a guess I'd say a gaming card that does bit-perfect is okay in both audio worlds?

Nov 8, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azultra
About EAX HD, tell your dumb game editors to stop using a dumb ultra-closed proprietary "technology", and use Miles or other better and generic alternatives instead.

Oh come on, Miles is miles away from EAX. There are no better generic alternatics.

Nov 9, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #22 of 25
I'll go ahead and comment.

I originally had the Audigy 2 ZS platinum (front bay with sad amp) I got the HD600's...AWESOME! I used it on the front bay for about a year straight. Then a buddy of mine got an amp, and I realized how underpowered mine were, I bought an amp...I ran that for a long time too. Finally swapped for a Entech NC 203.2 and AV710, and the week I had just the AV710 I was in the clouds, but the DAC put me in heaven! it gave way more detail to the music espically in the midtones and bass counterparts. For the $60 I spent on it...way good buy. Considering audio wise there is not much you can get for $60 to drastically improve your sound like the DAC can.

I'd highly recommend buying it. if you don't notice a difference or like it, I'm sure it wouldn't take long to sell here on the forum.

Nov 10, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeder
I'd highly recommend buying it. if you don't notice a difference or like it, I'm sure it wouldn't take long to sell here on the forum.

OK than. I just got one off Amazon.

I'll put it agains my heavily moded 710, and if it's could clear that mark (which I doubt), I'll keep it. If it can not, it'll go to the sales corner. Modding a $50 DAC is not much tempting.

Eighter way, I'll post the results

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #24 of 25
why is something like the headroom micro dac better then an elite PRO using the same DAC?

Feb 28, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why is something like the headroom micro dac better then an elite PRO using the same DAC?

the analog output and power supply has a larger effect on the sound than the DAC chip used. while the DAC chip used does influence the sound of the DAC, any DAC can sound wonderful with a good power supply and analog output stage.

I've never heard the MicroDAC but based on its specs, it has a better output stage, and a better power supply, and no nearby graphics card to produce tons of EMI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back