Soundcard to desktop amp
Apr 6, 2011 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

1eye1derweasil

New Head-Fier
Okay, I'm thinking of trying something different. This summer I'm building a new computer, so I think I'm going to go all out and do what I should have done already and get a desktop amp. 

So, this is what I'm thinking of doing, (hang with me I'm still new to all this) Getting the Asus Xonar D2x soundcard, and using the Schiit Asgaard as my amp (great reviews, and affordable price)

Good Idea? Bad idea?

I'd love your input/opinions/ideas/suggestions

:) 

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 4
I currently have a D2X along with a FiiO E9 and a pair Sennheiser HD595. I personally love the setup, the D2X is an amazing soundcard in my opinion. I am not sure how well it stacks up to a dedicated DAC when it comes to pure sound quality, but the D2X does have a number of other features that I find quite useful (such as providing 3D sound in games, a bunch of Dolby stuff, etc).

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #3 of 4
If you want the features of the sound card then go for it. I gonna be doign a slimar plan whenever I save up enough cash for a E9.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
 . . . . So, this is what I'm thinking of doing, (hang with me I'm still new to all this) Getting the Asus Xonar D2x soundcard, and using the Schiit Asgaard as my amp (great reviews, and affordable price)

Good Idea? Bad idea?

I don't know. If you are going to spring for the Asgaard, why wouldn't you get an external DAC? It is one thing to say that the Xonar sounds good as a PC source connected directly to your headphones, but it seems seems a bit presumptuous to assume that the Xonar's limitations won't be exposed by an external amp like the Asgaard. It could be fine; but why take the chance that it isn't?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back