Soundcard to AMP/DAC any difference?
Aug 2, 2014 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

HyperDuckling

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-fi :)

So recently (with help from you beatiful guys!) I purchased my AKG K612 and a Firestone Fubar IV (used) and I must say that I really like the sound coming out of that combo! though I was wondering: Would purchasing an internal soundcard make any difference? Because i'd really like to have virtual sourround. Would I even be able to use soundcard -> optical -> Fubar IV -> Headphones and still get virtual sourround?

thanks in advance!

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #2 of 18
Yes. Using a soundcard and hooking the Firestone up via optical would allow you to use the virtual surround DSP functionality of the card. A Xonar DG or DGX could work every nicely for that.

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 18
Ok, Thank you so much! But I'm wondering is it worth spending 60$ extra just to get the virtual surround? Is positional audio any better than with without?

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 18
You could give it a try with the Razer Surround software first. Try these discussions of it:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/669696/razer-surround-7-1-virtualization-software
http://www.head-fi.org/t/704775/a-comparison-of-different-virtual-surround-sound-on-the-same-audio-track

My sense is that Dolby Headphone or Creative's virtual surround would take it up another notch, but I haven't tried the Razer Surround.

Aug 2, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 18
  Ok, Thank you so much! But I'm wondering is it worth spending 60$ extra just to get the virtual surround? Is positional audio any better than with without?

Are you currently connecting the Firestone with your motherboard, using S/PDIF (optical or coaxial)?
Have you tried updating to the motherboard's latest audio drivers?

Aug 2, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 18

The Asus Xonar DG/DGX comes with Dolby Headphone surround sound.
Are you thinking of getting a Sound Blaster Z sound card (OEM), with it's SBX Headphone surround sound?

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #9 of 18
You could give it a try with the Razer Surround software first. Try these discussions of it:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/669696/razer-surround-7-1-virtualization-software
http://www.head-fi.org/t/704775/a-comparison-of-different-virtual-surround-sound-on-the-same-audio-track

My sense is that Dolby Headphone or Creative's virtual surround would take it up another notch, but I haven't tried the Razer Surround.

I'll definetly give the Razer Software a try!

Are you currently connecting the Firestone with your motherboard, using S/PDIF (optical or coaxial)?
Have you tried updating to the motherboard's latest audio drivers?

I'm currently connecting it to my pc via USB. And yes, motherboard drivers are all up to date! :)

The Asus Xonar DG/DGX comes with Dolby Headphone surround sound.
Are you thinking of getting a Sound Blaster Z sound card (OEM), with it's SBX Headphone surround sound?

I was thinking of getting the DGX (mainly because of PCI-E x1) and an optical cable, though everything is alot more expensive over here, so it would cost me 60$ :/

Aug 3, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #10 of 18
Hmmm... just read some reviews on the ASUS Xonar DGX on newegg, and some pointed out that it does NOT output Dolby Digitial with Optical. Can anyone confirm/deny that?

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #14 of 18
Awesome! Be sure to come back and share your impressions of how it sounds
smily_headphones1.gif

Will do! although it might be a bit until I actually buy it... just bought a ModMic and with shipping to my country it costs 80$... DAYUM! So I have to justify to myself spending any more money on headphone audio :)

already spent 640$ (headphones, AMP, Mic, and soon soundcard), it's an expensive hobby i guess? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back