Soundcard Problem
Oct 29, 2009 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

evt

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I have the x-fi xtrememusic oem that came with my dell xps 720. I've been having problems with the soundcard since day 1. Its been more than a year now. I've been through 2 different units of the xtrememusic.

The soundcard was replaced with an identical unit from dell (under warranty) because it would randomly produce a loud static like buzz, and when it does, the next 5 minutes there will be no sound from the system. When the sound resumes it seems like all the sound that were supposed to play then plays back at the same time. For example if I receive a new msn message in the background during the "blackout" time no sound would be heard, but when the sound comes back on I would here the notifications as if it was delayed.

I'm pretty sure there are some compatibility issues with the motherboard. I don't think there is no other reason, because i've went through 2 identical unit. Both times my drivers are current too.

The problem existed when I was using Vista Home Premium x86, Business x64, and now with Windows 7 Professional x64.

I'm looking for some opinion on what the problem might be.

On another note I have a soundblaster audigy 4 sitting around collecting dust. Is it better to just use that instead?

TIA
beerchug.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #3 of 7
I've heard that a lot of people avoid the XtremeMusic like a disease. I don't know which one would have better quality output but give it a shot. The worst thing that could happen is that you end up right back to where you are now. A quick look on google at the feature differences and it looks like the only feature downside would be that the Audigy 4 has EAX 4.0 where the XtremeMusic has EAX 5.0. Not much of a difference to swing either way IMO.

Nov 1, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 7
I have owned three X-Fi XtremeMusic cards (and still own two after selling one to my roommate) and none of them have given me any issues which leads me to believe there is something wrong hardware wise with your computer because you used separate OSes to rule out a software issue. At this point, the only recommendation I can give you is to obtain a different sound card preferably not made by Creative and doesn't employ the X-Fi chip. Asus has been making some decent cards lately although their drivers may not have matured on the Windows 7 platform. Is there an onboard option you can use? You might want to try that and see if that gives you any issues first just to rule out a Windows sound handling issue.

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 7
did you install them or did the manufacturer? the way motherboards are made usually prohibits the hardware from destroying each other... the only way I could thing of is if this sound card had an extra power supply lead and either the wrong voltage was attached or the psu spiked it and killed it. i'd be weary of that psu in your computer if that's the case... is the card PCI or PCI express?

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 7
I'll try and swap it out with the audigy 4 this weekend. The x-fi unit came installed with the computer. However, I installed the x-fi card that dell sent as a replacement. Strange enough that both have the same problem. Which really makes me think that there is something wrong w/ the motherboard / other components. What are the chances that 2 identical cards have the identical problem?

They're now connected to Audioengine 5 (before that was Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, and Bose Companion 3). The problem did exist on all the mentioned speakers.

edit: The card is PCI btw.

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #7 of 7
Have you tried it in a different PCI slot?

Does Task Manager show anything intersting when the sound is blanked out, like frantic CPU activity?

Do the kxproject drivers support that card?

Could you boot a different OS (like a Linux or XP live CD) and see if it behaves? Or "just" swap in an old hard drive and boot XP?

Finally, do you get normal sound with a USB sound device like chat headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back