Soundcard or ODAC?
Mar 15, 2015 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

gmaister22

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

i want to improve the sound output of my computer and i'm between a soundcard and a ODAC/AMP...what would you suggest?

My budget is about 200$ and i'm located in Europe

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 18
If you want the surround processing (Dolby Headphone, SBX, Dolby/DTS multichannel, etc) then you will want a soundcard because a music DAC like the ODAC will not provide those features.

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 18
  Hey guys,
i want to improve the sound output of my computer and I'm between a sound card and a ODAC/AMP...what would you suggest?
My budget is about 200$ and I'm located in Europe

Assuming this is for headphones?
Which model headphones?

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card would be a good choice for FPS gaming, good sound quality, for it's price.

Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used is fine) combined with a FiiO E11K headphone amplifier, would give you a volume knob at your finger tips.
The E11K to me is a better headphone amplifier, then the one built into the SB-Z.
The SB-Z and DX/D1 both come with the CS4398 DAC chip :)

The Asus Xonar Essence STX and Sound Blaster ZxR sound cards, come with better DAC chips, then the SB-Z & DX/D1.

Mar 16, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #9 of 18
If you don't need the surround processing of the Soundblaster, then I would get the ODAC + O2. Do you need the virtual surround processing of a sound card?

Mar 16, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 18
Currently, no, but who knows about the near future...if the quality is the same, i can obviously go with the soundblaster zxr

I doubt most head-fiers would consider the quality the same. Would the difference be worthwhile to you? I cannot tell you.

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 18
  Currently, no, but who knows about the near future...if the quality is the same, i can obviously go with the Sound Blaster ZxR

If your really into FPS gaming, then I would say to go for a sound card.
If you really like a lot of detail in your music, then get the ODAC/O2.
A good deal on a used Modi/Magni combo is another option.

What headphones are you using?

Mar 16, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #13 of 18
If your really into FPS gaming, then I would say to go for a sound card.
If you really like a lot of detail in your music, then get the ODAC/O2.
A good deal on a used Modi/Magni combo is another option.

What headphones are you using?
QFTruthiness

Before any amp (or DAC) is recommended, we do need to know the headphones. A solid sound card can do decent DAC and amping work, but you'll also get a bonus of sound processing that something like the ODAC or Modi can't do.

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #14 of 18
Or, i can get Astro A50s...looking good

Cause, for gaming then ill need a Microphone too, add 150$, 200$ for the card + some good headphones another 200$ ( i have good headphones but they are for djing, the sennheiser HD25's

I don't know..so confused...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back