Soundcard or DAC?
Dec 25, 2014 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jackstack10

Head-Fier
I have a pair of PSB M4U1 headphones, and I'm wondering if i should pair it with an upgrade. Im currently using them for gaming and music on both the PC and phone, but much more on PC. Should i upgrade? And if i should, should i get a soundcard or external DAC? I'm looking at +/- $100 for this upgrade.

Dec 25, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 16
I have a pair of PSB M4U1 headphones, and I'm wondering if i should pair it with an upgrade. I'm currently using them for gaming and music on both the PC and phone, but much more on PC. Should I upgrade? And if I should, should I get a sound card or external DAC? I'm looking at +/- $100 for this upgrade.

For music, an external DAC/Amp would be fine ($75),
but as your gaming, a sound card might offer some helpful features.

For me personally, I would go for an Asus Xonar DX sound card (used is fine, $45-$60) and a FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60).
A Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card ($60-$80), would be cheaper then the DX/E11K combo.

Dec 25, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 16
For music, an external DAC/Amp would be fine ($75),
but as your gaming, a sound card might offer some helpful features.

For me personally, I would go for an Asus Xonar DX sound card (used is fine, $45-$60) and a FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60).
A Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card ($60-$80), would be cheaper then the DX/E11K combo.

Why would i need an amp? What does it do?

Dec 25, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 16
Why would i need an amp? What does it do?

The 32-Ohm PSB M4U1 do not need an amplifier to drive them.....but.
The E11K's low output impedance (less then 1-Ohm) should help the headphones bring out better detail in the headphone audio.

32-Ohm headphones seem to be more designed for working with portable stuff, smartphones, iPhone, iPods, mp3 player, etc.
Which usually come with a low output impedance :)

Where as motherboard built in audio and a lot of add-on sound cards usually have a higher output impedance, between 10-Ohms and 100-Ohms.
Which might give 32-Ohm headphones a little more bloated (louder, less detailed) bass sound,mids and treble might also be negatively (maybe only slightly) effected.

Dec 25, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 16
The 32-Ohm PSB M4U1 do not need an amplifier to drive them.....but.
The E11K's low output impedance (less then 1-Ohm) should help the headphones bring out better detail in the headphone audio.

32-Ohm headphones seem to be more designed for working with portable stuff, smartphones, iPhone, iPods, mp3 player, etc.
Which usually come with a low output impedance :)

Where as motherboard built in audio and a lot of add-on sound cards usually have a higher output impedance, between 10-Ohms and 100-Ohms.
Which might give 32-Ohm headphones a little more bloated (louder, less detailed) bass sound,mids and treble might also be negatively (maybe only slightly) effected.

Ok, i see, how much of a difference in quality do u think i would see with that combo? I cant find the dx used anywhere for that price.

Dec 26, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 16
Ok, i see, how much of a difference in quality do u think i would see with that combo? I cant find the DX used anywhere for that price.

You could just keep using on-board audio, for now.

Fiio E10k might (should?) improve audio quality, but does not offer headphone surround sound.

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #11 of 16
  I don't mind spending more than 100, ill bump it up if you think i would see a major improvement with the E10K and DX or another card.  

What is the make and model of your current motherboard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back