Soundcard OPamp differences?
Oct 9, 2008 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RTilbury

Head-Fier
I hope somene can help me with this. I currently have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2. And really hate it.

My system consists of a Portal Audio Panache, Vienna Acoustic Bach, and Sennheiser HD600.

I was about to pull the trigger on the HT Omega Claro Plus+ a few weeks ago, but have been too busy to actually do it.

Now I see they have some new cards. If I am using just 2 channel, what card offers better musical sound quality? I dont care about driving my headphones, since my Panache does that spectacularly.

I am mainly wondering about the OPamp quality difference between the claro plus and Halo.

The Claro Plus+ uses the AD8620BR.
The Claro Halo uses a total of 4 JCR4580

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 9, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 10
The Halo uses the JRC4580's but they are meant to be replaced with something better. If your looking for the best sound..You can go with the Halo+ and modify it to your personal taste with opamps.

Oct 9, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 10
I'm not really looking to modify the OPamps, I just want something out of the box that will sound good. Is the AD8620BR a better opamp than the 4580?

Is it only of the Halo+ that you can change the OPamps?

Oct 9, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 10
Yes, I would consier the 8620BR to be a much better unit then the 4580 as the 4580 is a generic opamp. It is inexpensive and used to do the job but it is not really the best unit as far as sound quality goes. You should just install new opamps on the Halo and have better sound. You may not be into changing opamps..all the time. Just change them out once to improve your sound and your good to go.

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by RTilbury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope somene can help me with this. I currently have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2. And really hate it.

[...]

I am mainly wondering about the OPamp quality difference between the claro plus and Halo.

The Claro Plus+ uses the AD8620BR.
The Claro Halo uses a total of 4 JCR4580

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The best thing you can do is to move the D to A outside the computer. In pro audio we nickname it the "pin one problem," which is grounding. You just cannot keep the noise out of a card that is stuck inside a box with square-wave signals all around.

I would suggest pretty much anything that connects via USB to the computer. Something by Digidesign (not the Micor) or M-Audio. Henry Engineering makes one that is powered from the USB port. It is intended for pro use, so it costs a bit more, but it does give you about all the quality one can get from a MP3 compressed file.

The Digidesign stuff is VERY nice in that it uses Firewire plus they are feature rich. I did see some other stuff in the Apple "booth" at the NAB spring show, but I don't recall the brand names.

Now, if you want to have a card inside the computer that is very good quality, try Audio Science. I have used MANY of these, up to the 8 channel units. They are noise free, and very clean. They are expensive.

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 10
Head-Case, I generally agree with what you said, but unless the OP has top of the line equipments, I really don't think he'll hear much, if any, difference. Besides, Digidesign is for Pro Audio, he'll be paying for a lot of features he doesn't need.

Oct 10, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 10
Well I think I might as well buy the Halo then, since I can upgrade the opamps on it.

I really know nothing about the various OPamps out there, is the AD8620BR a good one to use? I realize with this soundcard I must change a total of 4!?

Is there a better opamp out there? Where is a good place to even buy these?

Thanks

Oct 11, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 10
@RTilbury

Actually, you will hear varying opinions on what is better then what. Especially when talking about opamps as peoples ears and gear vary.

I suggest Trying out the Halo first and see how you find the sound quality right out of the box. Then if you want to change or improve the sound quality, start talking with people how know what they are doing and talking about in terms of audio Opamps.

There are many good places to buy opamps but for the Halo you will need dual channel opamps. Some of the better quality opamps are single channel units so you can but certian models built into adapter boards for soundcards or do it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back