soundcard not recording the full audio spectrum
Jul 13, 2010 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

anwaypasible

100+ Head-Fier
i have sat down to calibrate my equalizer for the volume slider at 25% and today i wanted to re-calibrate the equalizer for 50% volume.. but i ran into a problem that i was able to test using various methods.

the soundcard isnt recording anything above 4400hz !!!
i thought it was odd that trueRTA wasnt picking up any treble. (and it is not the first time the software has done this)
so i finally decided to try a different audio spectrum analyzer and see if that program picked up any treble.

to my suprise, the other software wouldnt pick up any treble either.
so then i selected the wave output as the recording input and verified that my microphone wasnt broken.
i wasnt able to get anything above 4400hz while using wave as the input.

the audio spectrum analyzer that i downloaded today clearly shows that there is a huge notch of some sort around 4000hz
the trueRTA program has a signal generator and i used that to determine 4400hz will show up.. but 4500hz or higher wont.

i tried using the wave input for the new audio spectrum software and once again there was something preventing the full audio spectrum from being recorded.

i thought that maybe the drivers were 'stuck' and so i went into audio creation mode and selected 96khz master sample rate and tried once again to record past 4500hz
i couldnt get anything above 4400hz

i'm scratching my head and wondering what i should do to alleviate this situation.
i am certain that this problem has come and gone in the past because sometimes trueRTA will pick up the treble and other times it wont.
another reason that holds evidence is the fact that i have calibrated the equalizer and made the line completely flat from 10hz to 20khz using the same microphone and cable with the external I/O box.

i havent tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them.. but does anybody suggest something else besides reinstalling the drivers?
i cant picture the analog to digital converter being bad, because for one.. i havent used it except for a handful of times.
and i've never used anything with excessive voltage connected to either the a/d converter in the external I/O box or the soundcard itself.
(i just learned today that there are two different analog to digital converter chips)

i havent been able to try the line-in jack on the soundcard itself because i dont have the giant headphone female to little headphone male adapter for the microphone XLR cable.

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 6
is your microphone element at the tip of that skinny nozzle or deep down in the 'bin' area?

i always thought that the mic element was down in the fat area so as to keep the microphone's response linear by using a 'bandpass' enclosure.

and it makes sense considering the design of the tip.
all the sound that goes into the skinny nozzle loses all of the temporal nonsense so that it strikes the condenser plate evenly rather than so powerful that the mic distorts and cannot differentiate other noises going on at the same time.
which is basically just a windscreen to put things into a very simple perspective.

a gust of wind blowing on a speaker might make the speaker smack the bottom and at that moment.. the speaker isnt capable of playing anything at all, which makes the device utterly useless for a moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back