Soundcard Modding: Audigy 2 ZS
Mar 3, 2004 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kelston

100+ Head-Fier
So, I know the Audigy 2 has been covered and that it can be modded.

However, has anyone gotten their hands on the new Audigy 2 ZS line of cards to see if anything can be done with it?

I'd like to get one because of EAX 4.0 (yea, i'm a gamer), but I love the modded output of my Revo (THANKS GLASSMAN, you rock), and I can't go back to the generic crappiness of the output of a stock Audigy.

Mar 19, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 19
I'd certainly like to know if you do find anything on modding the audigy 2 ZS. I am buying one very soon myself...

Mar 20, 2004 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 19
I'd be most interested to see some info on this too. I've seen a couple people talk about having Audigy 2's and swapping opamps out, but they don't seem to respond to questions about it. I'd be curious to hear how it's done and if there is a significant sound difference. Hopefully someone will help us out.

Adso

Mar 20, 2004 at 10:12 AM Post #5 of 19
The person that built my PPA upgraded my Audigy 2 ZS. He swapped the op amps with 8610/8620s. There is a very significant increase in sound quality. I think that's all that can be done to the card.

Mar 20, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 19
Hmm... I might have to look into that
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

do you use 3 ad8620s or do you actually have to use single channel opamps like the 8610?

The stock ST 4588 chips are dual channel opamps.
Hark tends to get the 8610/8620 mixed up pretty frequently.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 5:45 AM Post #14 of 19
So you've done this mod MisterX?

Could you give us a little mini-review/summary of the sound quality differences if you get a spare moment? I'd greatly appreciate your input too Harkamus since you seem to be positive about it.

And, how difficult is this mod to do?

Thanks,

Adso

Mar 21, 2004 at 12:27 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

So you've done this mod MisterX?

Yea, A few times.
smily_headphones1.gif

All of the characteristics of the opamp come through.
In the case of the AD8620....Detail improves dramatically.... The bass is much tighter and the highs are much clearer. The highs can also be fatiguing and overly bright when matched with the wrong peripherals.

Quote:

And, how difficult is this mod to do?

How difficult is any SMP soldering? Especially when you have all of those freaking caps in the way.
It is literally a ten minute mod.

Quote:

Yeah one of the biggest advertisements on the box is the 108dB SNR, so they had to do something.

More marketing hype.
The Digit-life review of the ZS card will explain it to ya.
wink.gif

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...-zs/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back