Soundcard for raising volume of V-Moda M100's, equivalent to FiiO E12
Jun 18, 2014 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Mosstrekker192

Head-Fier
Before I got this pair, I had a pair of Klipsch Image One's which were way too bass heavy, and after that, ATH-M50's, which I only had for a few weeks. I came to realize the Klipsch's were way too bass heavy and made music sound completely abnormal in the long run, but the M50's, while more balanced, were just too soft. The V-Moda's are definitely an improvement, but their max volume is nothing compared to what they sounded like on a demo pair at the mall. The guy who sold them to me told me that the reason why the volume isn't as loud is because my computer case, which is a Diablotek I think I payed over $50, is technically somewhat more "higher end", and they're designed where there's less power towards volume output and thus more designed for use with external amps. I can't say how valid that is, but I've tried so much volume calibration and balancing and absolutely nothing compares to what I've heard in public. It was a busy mall and it was able to drown out so much sound, but here at home, lots of little noises make it in and it's a much less enjoyable experience.

I'm really clueless when it comes to amps, though, but I guess I'd want a portable amp. I want things to sound much louder for the most part, while being able to keep proper balance. I guess I'd probably like to pay up to $200, but that's the absolute maximum.

EDIT: I've since changed my mind and am interested in a soundcard instead. Same issues and maximum price hold true, but particularly a soundcard that offers similar quality to the FiiO E12.

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 18
A lower end Fiio should be able to drive them just fine. Spend some of that saved money on a pair of XL pads as well.

They also respond really well to EQ so I would play around with that a bit. I got a really balanced sound sig by EQing the bass/treble slightly down and the mids slightly up. (all changes were at most +/- 4 db) If you can find a sound signature you like, you pretty much have the perfect portable headphone imo.

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 18
Should I go with an E12? The E11 seems to be one of the most popular at this point, but that seems like a definite upgrade, and the price isn't too bad for me. I don't really plan on using this while out much at all, my smartphone's audio is good enough (better than my computer), but what should I really expect out of it?

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 18
The E12 seems to work fine with the M100s and they have heaps of power in case you ever decide to buy other headphones.

It sounds like your computer has a crappy built in dac/amp so you could look into getting a new sound card instead. You can power your headphones with your smartphone when you travel and run them straight out of the computer at home.

Jun 20, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #5 of 18
How would a sound card really improve over an external amp? If it helps, I don't have any external speakers, nor do I plan to ever really get any, I use my headphones and nothing else on it. And probably a dumb question, but how would I listen to music on my computer through my smartphone hooked up to it, without transferring them over? I've honestly never really heard of that.

Jun 20, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 18
A sound card is pretty much a DAC/Amp combo that you can place inside a computer to replace the default integrated one. It should perform similarly to an external one for your needs. Installing one will increase the quality of the sound from the port on your computer since it's connected to the sound card.

You said you get good sound out of your M100s from your phone, so you probably don't need a portable amplifier or DAC.
You can simply use your phone as a source if you are on the move and use your computer as a source if you are not.

What I proposed was not a portable solution. I was just recommending an improvement for your home use and suggesting that your phone is good enough for portable use. If you still want/need a portable solution, the E12 should work fine.

Jun 20, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 18

Because of the newer models these are pretty cheap on the used market.They use a g4 iPod battery and last 10 to 14 hours on a charge. Just found one and have been using if for a week. Love the sound. I go mini plug out of a g5 Touch to the amp.

You may be much better off to get a DAC/Amp combo if your using your sound card now. I have not heard it with your headphones but it is loud and pretty flat as far a frequency response. Paid $80.00.

I'm so happy with the sound and power I'm thinking of springing $249 for their DAC/Amp combo. It does everything!

http://www.jdslabs.com/products/84/c5d-amplifier-dac/

PC will be easy to connect but your phone is going to maybe take an extra adapter.

SUGGESTED ACCESSORIES
We recommend the following third-party accessories for use with C5D (not included):

iPad or iPhone with 30pin Connector: Apple Camera Connection Kit
iPad or iPhone with Lightning Connector: Apple USB Camera Adapter
Android Devices: Micro-to-Mini USB OTG Cable

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #8 of 18
Well, I actually went ahead and ordered an E12 yesterday just in case I don't find anything else, and I could just refuse it when it comes, plus I'm so sick of dealing with noise filtering in and this pair not living up to it's potential. I don't have much of any interest in carrying a portable AMP around with me, so if it's the case that sound card would suit my needs just as well, I might go for that. But I'm even less familiar with those than I am with portable AMPs. What sort of soundcard/DAC-AMP combo would I look into that's similar in quality to the E12?

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #10 of 18
Ah, if you already ordered the E12 it should work fine. If you find that you still hear noise from your computer, you may want a DAC. A lot of people here prefer the Schitt Modi or the ODAC.
I don't think I know enough about soundcards to help you out there.

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #11 of 18
Well, I got the E12 in the mail, but it's just that I think I might want to send it back knowing that a sound card would best suit me. Haven't opened it yet though, but still waiting on suggestions and planning to do research myself.

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #12 of 18
Well, I got the E12 in the mail, but it's just that I think I might want to send it back knowing that a sound card would best suit me. Haven't opened it yet though, but still waiting on suggestions and planning to do research myself.

Well just remember that everyone here has put their money forward and took chances and learned along the way. I put my first audiophile sound card Ina PC in 2000. The PC had only a 1 gig harddrive. I have purchased a bunch of audio equipment in the last 14 years interfacing with computers and stand alone systems with no computer in use.

First off I'm going to spout off about some equipment I have not tried and talk about stuff I have tried. Sounds like your going to keep your rig at home and don't need anything mobile right? Nuforce is going to have a bunch of DAC and combined amp devices that you plug a USB cord in one side and your headphones in another. Icon DAC amp are out there and well within your budget.

Most of the time the actual sound cards that improve sound and go in your PC audio card slot are noisy because they are not separate from what interference going on in the PC. External devices are cheap now too. Many of us had nice computer sound cards though for gaming and they will combine with games to give you a more realistic gaming sound experience many with multichannel sound. But if music is all you want, amping your existing run of the mill PC sound card will be ok but have a noisy sound floor. You will hear noise when nothing is playing this is on all the time and effects how you hear music.

Another example is the new USB stand alone sticks like the Dragonfly. I have not heard it but it is very simple just plug it into your USB port and it will amp and DAC your computer.

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #13 of 18
If it's the case that a soundcard is so likely to create a noisy sound floor, why would I even want one for just music? I haven't done much research since I last posted admittedly, but looking at http://sound-cards-review.toptenreviews.com/, the prices for the high end ones are quite high and seem oriented for purposes beyond what I want. The dragonfly AMP/DACs seem interesting as well, and what I kind of originally had in mind, but I still don't know how they compare to the FiiO, which I still have.

Jun 29, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #14 of 18
Get a Xonar DX (or D1), which has a pretty decent DAC built in with DSP features, too, but no headphone amp. Get the Schiit Magni to go with it, and you'll have tons of power for the M100s :)

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #15 of 18
Get a Xonar DX (or D1), which has a pretty decent DAC built in with DSP features, too, but no headphone amp. Get the Schiit Magni to go with it, and you'll have tons of power for the M100s :)

I have had older soundcards for gaming hooked up to amps and don't have experience with the Schiit Magni but own a late model Asgard and love it. I think this would be a great low cost solution here for the OP.

It would be interesting to price it out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back