Soundcard for gaming
Nov 10, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #16 of 42
the dt990/dt770 comes in different impedance models (32, 250 and 600)

if you have the 32ohm model, you wont need an amp

for 250 ohm, you may need one, or a soundcard w a decent headphone amp (Ti HD)

the STX on its own can drive up to 600Ohm, quality is comparable with budget external amps

what about phoebus?

I actually don't whant STX because as I heard sounds with this card, it's not gaming, it's more for music mixuring and other audiophile stuff.

What about 770\990 with impedence 80ohm, will i need amp? And what is the difference in sound between 80 and 32 ohm?)))

I foun theese video:

Phoebus:
zxr that is similar to ti-hd:

STX i haven't found gaming video, but people who had is say that is truly not for gaming:frowning2:

Nov 10, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #17 of 42
Not 100% sure what you might mean by "pre-amp" on the sound cards, assuming you mean the line-output (RCA) jacks, as they do function like a pre-amp.
"it can burn the DT770/DT990 without external amp"?

Here is charts about impedence for phoebus:

ASUS_ROG%20Xonar%20Phoebus_power_u.png

ASUS_ROG%20Xonar%20Phoebus_power_i.png

ASUS_ROG%20Xonar%20Phoebus_power_w.png

Regarding to this article Titanium HD has impedence only 35ohm:

http://en.goldenears.net/1389

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #18 of 42
havent tried phoebus sorry

yeah the stx isnt marketed for gaming, but the quality and the ability to power more types of headsets beats any gaming cards. I used to have a better experience with it (and directional accuracy in FPS games) paired with a decent open back headphones. it doesnt have the gaming software based bells and whistles the gaming cards have , but some people dont even use them nor find them helpful.

80 ohm - most soundcards (and even modern onboard) can power those. for gaming, i dont think you'll find a significant difference vs higher impedance models

Nov 10, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #19 of 42
what about phoebus?
I actually don't what STX because as I heard sounds with this card, it's not gaming, it's more for music mixuring and other audiophile stuff.
What about 770\990 with impedence 80-Ohm, will i need amp? And what is the difference in sound between 80 and 32 ohm?)))
STX i haven't found gaming video, but people who had is say that is truly not for gaming:frowning2:

The Asus cards like the STX use Dolby Headphone surround sound, Creative cards use to use CMSS-3D headphone surround sound, now Creative cards use SBX Headphone surround sound.
Some people like FPS gaming using Dolby, other use to use CMSS-3D (with their older card) and switched maybe switched over the newer SBX.
Guessing more people prefer SBX, over Dolby, just depends on what you prefer.

The DT770 Pro 80-ohm is slightly easier to drive then the 250-Ohm version, but both 80-ohm and 250-Ohm really need to be used with a decent headphone amplifier to sound their best.
The 32-Ohm version of the DT770/DT880/DT990 are easier to drive then the 80-Ohm/250-Ohm/600-Ohm version.
But the 32-Ohm versions really only do best when used with a decent headphone amplifier.

Nov 11, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #20 of 42
The Asus cards like the STX use Dolby Headphone surround sound, Creative cards use to use CMSS-3D headphone surround sound, now Creative cards use SBX Headphone surround sound.
Some people like FPS gaming using Dolby, other use to use CMSS-3D (with their older card) and switched maybe switched over the newer SBX.
Guessing more people prefer SBX, over Dolby, just depends on what you prefer.

The DT770 Pro 80-ohm is slightly easier to drive then the 250-Ohm version, but both 80-ohm and 250-Ohm really need to be used with a decent headphone amplifier to sound their best.
The 32-Ohm version of the DT770/DT880/DT990 are easier to drive then the 80-Ohm/250-Ohm/600-Ohm version.
But the 32-Ohm versions really only do best when used with a decent headphone amplifier.

Why do I need decent amplifier for 32 ohm version?

Nov 11, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #21 of 42
havent tried phoebus sorry

yeah the stx isnt marketed for gaming, but the quality and the ability to power more types of headsets beats any gaming cards. I used to have a better experience with it (and directional accuracy in FPS games) paired with a decent open back headphones. it doesnt have the gaming software based bells and whistles the gaming cards have , but some people dont even use them nor find them helpful.

80 ohm - most soundcards (and even modern onboard) can power those. for gaming, i dont think you'll find a significant difference vs higher impedance models
What about drivers for Phoebus on windows 10, is there any troubles?
And I've heard about sreeching problem with STX also on windows 10.
Any ideas?

Nov 15, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #22 of 42
Hi guys.

I definetly decided to buy creative and now choosing between ZXR used and AE-5 new for the same price, only for gaming. I can't find any comparison of this cards....

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #23 of 42
Why do I need decent amplifier for 32 ohm version?

For the most part, a low output impedance. Sensitivity isn't that big of a problem, but if whatever it is plugged into has a high output impedance, you lower the damping factor (ie how well the driver movement is controlled by the amp), which introduces a different kind of distortion.

Think of it like how even if an engine has enough power to get a car going fast it's pointless to put a small block V8 into a front wheel drive sedan that will just scratch and smoke for traction on hard acceleration and then will have all that weight over the drive wheels in front that also has to steer the car.

I definetly decided to buy creative and now choosing between ZXR used and AE-5 new for the same price, only for gaming. I can't find any comparison of this cards....

I'd go with the AE-5 for the low output impedance and higher output. RGB is a nice bonus.

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #25 of 42
Yes, i decided to buy AE-5 and DT-770 but then I saw reviews about Siberia 840 and I'm thinking may be Siberia 840 is better then ae-5 + dt770 ?

Haven't tried the Siberia but I've seen measurements on it, and unlike other gaming headsets they actually have quality drivers. But doesn't it come with its own soundcard?

Nov 18, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #26 of 42
Haven't tried the Siberia but I've seen measurements on it, and unlike other gaming headsets they actually have quality drivers. But doesn't it come with its own soundcard?
YES, they have its own sound card.

And this is the reason why I'm looking at them.

I'be read one review. Guy had x-fi titanium hd and headphones sennheiser pc360. He bought Siberia 840 and says that sound is much better then on titanium hd

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #27 of 42
I'be read one review. Guy had X-Fi Titanium hd and headphones Sennheiser PC360. He bought Siberia 840 and says that sound is much better then on Titanium-HD

I'm going to guess the reason the Siberia 840 sounded better was that the Siberia 840 is a better sounding headphone then the PC360.
and less to do with the Titanium-HD being some how not as good (audio quality wise) as the transmitter box that comes with the Siberia 840.

If the Transmitter box is sending a digital signal to the Siberia 840 headphones, then the transmitter box really has zero effect on the audio quality.
It's the DAC chip(s) and op-amps (operational amplifiers) and diaphragms, built into the Siberia 840 headphones themselves, that really effect audio quality.

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #28 of 42

I'be read one review. Guy had x-fi titanium hd and headphones sennheiser pc360. He bought Siberia 840 and says that sound is much better then on titanium hd

Just note that the sound likely has a lot to do with the Siberia's drivers and less on the electronics that came with it since the response is reasonably smooth and they have very high sensitivity. In other words, the electronics that came with it - particularly its amp circuit - will not do well with other headphones if it was designed for compactness (if it's battery powered then low output for low consumption is another factor) and relies more on the Siberia's high efficiency.

Another thing they could be doing - the drivers might not be that good but they could have put in a custom EQ in there to correct flaws in the drivers' output, so even with a compartively efficient load on the electronics, if it applies such a correction profile, it's not going to work well on anything else.

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #30 of 42
Hi guys.

I definetly decided to buy Creative and now choosing between ZXR used and AE-5 new for the same price, only for gaming. I can't find any comparison of this cards....

Technically (best guess) the SB-ZxR should have better hardware (DAC & op-amps), for audio quality.
But i have not done any reading of reviews where the SB-ZxR and the AE-5 have had their audio quality directly compared.
What are the prices for the SB-ZxR and the AE-5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back