Soundcard + External HPAmp
Aug 29, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #16 of 21
That's exactly how I do it, and how I would recommend! Buy a soundcard for gaming(assuming you NEED surround features), then go balls-to-the-wall on external gear, and experience the sound quality difference. : )

If you're using a PC, all you would do is change your audio device, like here... In this list, from top to bottom
1) external DAC(USB)
2) random external USB soundcard I don't use(for my microphone)
3) soundcard
4) soundcard's optical output
5) external DAC & amp for my speakers
1wCC5c4.png

Thank you so much ! I absolutely forgot that I could just swap my audio gear with Windows's Sound Options :)

Aug 29, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #17 of 21
Aug 29, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #18 of 21
It would not be very useful to me to buy a DAC with a soundcard. I think that the DAC in the soundcard is sufficient, my principal fear is that the amp part won't be good enough (by the fact that it will not get the best out of my futur headphones)
A Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound can is a good value (used $70) for headphone surround sound + DAC + headphone amplifier.
What is your budget?
What headphone do you currently use and are planning on buying in the future?

Aug 29, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #19 of 21
A Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound can is a good value (used $70) for headphone surround sound + DAC + headphone amplifier.
What is your budget?
What headphone do you currently use and are planning on buying in the future?

Rn i'm using some Shure SE215. I use them for everything but I way more prefer using some cans for indoor. I bought them because I absolutely needed some IEMs for outside

I have a budget of 500$ CAD.

I want to get myself an headphone with a wide soundstage (like the K702) for gaming purpose and a soundcard that have an amp good enough to drive those AKG cans, and later an headphone for music purpose with a more intimate soundstage and a funnier sound signature

Otherwise, the AE-5 isn't better than the SBZ ?

Aug 29, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #20 of 21
Rn i'm using some Shure SE215. I use them for everything but I way more prefer using some cans for indoor. I bought them because I absolutely needed some IEMs for outside
I have a budget of 500$ CAD.
I want to get myself an headphone with a wide sound stage (like the K702) for gaming purpose and a sound card that have an amp good enough to drive those AKG cans, and later an headphone for music purpose with a more intimate sound stage and a funnier sound signature
Otherwise, the AE-5 isn't better than the SBZ ?
I would expect the AE-5 to be better then the SB-Z card, but have not done much reading on the AE-5

Audio-GD NFB-11.28 DAC/amp, around $400 (USD) delivered to your from door.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm
You can connect a low cost sound card (for the headphone surround sound function) to the S/PDIF (optical/coaxial) input on the NFB-11.28.

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #21 of 21
I would expect the AE-5 to be better then the SB-Z card, but have not done much reading on the AE-5

Audio-GD NFB-11.28 DAC/amp, around $400 (USD) delivered to your from door.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm
You can connect a low cost sound card (for the headphone surround sound function) to the S/PDIF (optical/coaxial) input on the NFB-11.28.

Oh I didn't know that I could get surround features with the Audio-GD

Still, I will not buy a DAC/Amp for now, I do not have much purpose

But when I'll be able to get a good Headphone for music and I'll go for the Audio-GD

Anyway, thank you for your replies guys !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back