Soundcard distortion - only works at 16bit/32000Hz
Mar 2, 2012 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zantif

Head-Fier
Sound is distorted very badly with crackles and pops in the background if I try to set the Advanced Sound Properties in Control Panel to 16bit/44100Hz, or anything higher. I tried reinstalling my drivers, but that didn't help either. The only setting that seems to work is 16bit/32000Hz. Does anyone know why this might be? I'm running out of an E7. The E7 works on other machines, this seems to only be an issue on my laptop.

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Sounds like a USB problem to me.
If possible try another USB port on the laptop.
Dirty PSU, try playing with battery power
High latency of the system: try http://www.thesycon.com/deu/latency_check.shtml

Thanks for the tip!

As I was testing the latency of my machine the E7 or something apparently fixed itself. I don't know what changed. So now I've got 16b/44100Hz playback through my E7.

But now I have a new issue: when I try to use WASAPI in foobar2k with the E7, I get crackles and pops. I tried switching USB ports, but there was no change. Battery power is on full too. I don't know what could be wrong since normal playback without WASAPI works fine. Also WASAPI works when I don't have the E7 plugged in.

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Thanks for the tip!

As I was testing the latency of my machine the E7 or something apparently fixed itself. I don't know what changed. So now I've got 16b/44100Hz playback through my E7.

But now I have a new issue: when I try to use WASAPI in foobar2k with the E7, I get crackles and pops. I tried switching USB ports, but there was no change. Battery power is on full too. I don't know what could be wrong since normal playback without WASAPI works fine. Also WASAPI works when I don't have the E7 plugged in.

Try lowering the buffer in foobar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back