Soundcard/DAC & Headphones for new PC
Oct 8, 2014 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

serrasin

New Head-Fier
Greetings,

I just built a new computer and am looking to round it out with better audio support. I primarily use the computer for video games and graphic design. I have an old pair of grado labs 80s, but they are worn and beat up and due for replacement. What I am looking for is the ability to enjoy high quality audio from music or games for a reasonably long sitting (6-8 hours at the longest). I'd be willing to invest as much as 600usd in this, but would feel more comfortable at around 300usd.

Thankyou for taking the time to help and make suggestions.

Oct 8, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 7
  I just built a new computer and am looking to round it out with better audio support. I primarily use the computer for video games and graphic design. I have an old pair of Grado labs 80s, but they are worn and beat up and due for replacement. What I am looking for is the ability to enjoy high quality audio from music or games for a reasonably long sitting (6-8 hours at the longest). I'd be willing to invest as much as 600usd in this, but would feel more comfortable at around 300usd.
Thankyou for taking the time to help and make suggestions.

A Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card ($84), plus whatever headphones you choose, should make a fairly good setup.

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 7
Hmm. I appreciate the feedback, but was hoping for something a bit more specific.

What would be a good over ear-headphone which would have deep rich sounds? Would the plug of a computer sound card be strong enough for the suggested headset, or should I also get an amp to pair with it?

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 7
  Hmm. I appreciate the feedback, but was hoping for something a bit more specific.

What would be a good over ear-headphone which would have deep rich sounds? Would the plug of a computer sound card be strong enough for the suggested headset, or should I also get an amp to pair with it?

The Sound Blaster Z is something that offers fairly good stuff, for only $85. half-way decent built in headphone amplifier.
But you can always spend more and get better, next step up would be an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card, used around $140, better DAC and headphone amplifier, then the SB-Z

Headphone wise?
Philips Fidelio X1/28 $270, seems to be a well liked headphones, fairly decent amount of bass.

It might help to know more details on what you like in sound, good vocals, lots of bass, big sound stage, etc

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 7

The Sound Blaster Z is something that offers fairly good stuff, for only $85. half-way decent built in headphone amplifier.
But you can always spend more and get better, next step up would be an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card, used around $140, better DAC and headphone amplifier, then the SB-Z

Headphone wise?
Philips Fidelio X1/28 $270, seems to be a well liked headphones, fairly decent amount of bass.

It might help to know more details on what you like in sound, good vocals, lots of bass, big sound stage, etc

I listen to a lot of trance and some alternative, and a bit of metal mostly, however my tastes can range pretty far from that as well. I'm definitely big into great vocals. bass would be nice, but I really prefer a good range.

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 7

I listen to a lot of trance and some alternative, and a bit of metal mostly, however my tastes can range pretty far from that as well. I'm definitely big into great vocals. bass would be nice, but I really prefer a good range.

I'm currently starting to favor my Audio Technica (ATH-W1000X, $450) headphones, not a loud bass, more like a quality bass.
For vocals, maybe the Audio Technica ATH-AD1000X open headphones, around $300.

For $120, you can get a Fiio E11K ($60) headphone amplifier and a (used, $60) Asus Xonar DX sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back