soundcard and mp3 playback
Aug 15, 2004 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

wit

New Head-Fier
would a soundcard makes any different with mp3 playback?
all the threads that've read so far suggested different in cd/wav playback quality, but none really mentioned about mp3 playback quality. currently i'm using audigy 2 zs and thinking about adding av-710. don't want to do all the upgrade/driver installation if there's really no improvement.
thank you.
etysmile.gif

Aug 15, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 7
if you have lower quality mp3s (128k or lower), a better set up would expose the flaws of your mp3. If you have higher quality mp3s (usually lame encoded 160k or up), the mp3 will sound close enough to cd quality that you can upgrade your sound card without having the fear of exposing the flaws of your mp3 and benefit from a better sounding source.

Aug 16, 2004 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 7
i'm using "--alt -preset extreme" i hope this should be good enough.. (don't want to re-rip all the cds..)
will i be able to notice any different with chaintech card?

Aug 16, 2004 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by wit
i'm using "--alt -preset extreme" i hope this should be good enough.. (don't want to re-rip all the cds..)
will i be able to notice any different with chaintech card?

The chaintech is only a small - meidum step up from the audigy 2, what are you using for headphones / amp / speakers ?

Your money would be better spent on the emu cards.

--alt preset extreme is great, but I would go lossless on future cd rips, even rip some of your favorite cds to compare.

Aug 17, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 7
my setup is headsave classic with ad8620/ ety 4p.
i'll probably get hd580 either this week or next (have not make up my mind yet on which full size cans, any suggestion?)
thought about emu soundcard as well... but heard that they don't co-exists with audigy. anyways just order av-710 from newegg...
i'll definitely try lossless and compare with the previous mp3 and see if i could tell the different (hoping that i have tinears...)
need more fund... debating between robbing a bank or put my kidney up on ebay....
plainface.gif

Aug 17, 2004 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by wit
i'll probably get hd580 either this week or next (have not make up my mind yet on which full size cans, any suggestion?)
thought about emu soundcard as well... but heard that they don't co-exists with audigy. anyways just order av-710 from newegg...
i'll definitely try lossless and compare with the previous mp3 and see if i could tell the different (hoping that i have tinears...)
need more fund... debating between robbing a bank or put my kidney up on ebay....
plainface.gif

I suggest you rob a kidney bank.

Aug 17, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by wit
plainface.gif

Well, as you can see in my sig, i have the emu1212m and hd580s, I enjoy them enough
600smile.gif

And also, if you read thru some posts, the audigy/emu cards do work together, as long as you install them in the correct order etc.

Only reason I can think of for keeping audigy is for multichannel support. I gave my audigy 2 away a long time ago and have never needed it back for any gaming or anything with my emu 1212m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back