Soundcard + Amp = ?
Jan 28, 2007 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

oshox

New Head-Fier
I am about to seriously upgrade my computer audio by purchasing a Bluegears B-Enspire to replace my onboard AC97, and a pair of Beyerdynamic BT-880's to replace my Grado SR-125's. I was wondering if my setup would benefit from a CMoy amp. I know it's very inexpensive compared to the other components, but I would need to purchase the tools as well.

Will a small amp like the CMoy give me a noticeable increase in audio quality, or will the amp on the Bluegears card be enough?

Jan 28, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 5
I would, but I do a lot of gaming on my PC, and that's a lot of why I picked the 880's. Their bass and soundstage are really going to shine when they're coupled with the Dolby Headphone and EAX 2.0 features of the CMI8788 chipset.
But thank you for the advice on the amp. Building the CMoy will be a great experience if nothing else.

Jan 28, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by HIPPOhifi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT880's are fairly high impedance and would certainly benefit from an additional amplifier. If the primary reason for the purchase of the sound card is to drive headphones, you may want to look at USB devices dedicated at doing exactly that.

cheers,
Brent
http://www.hippohifi.com

At least put the link in your sig rather than at the end of every post or you'll probably get banned for spamming.
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by oshox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Building the CMoy will be a great experience if nothing else.

Furthermore the design is simple and easy constructed with standard size components. Fell free to PM if you need a hand.

Anarchy965 - Good point, thanks.

cheers,
Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back