Soundcard/Amp for hearing footsteps in CS GO?
May 25, 2015 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Smiped

Head-Fier
Hi, I am a complete noob when it comes to the audiophile realm of knowledge. But I wanted to know if amps increase the footstep/directional hearing experience in a FPS game like CounterStrike Global Offensive? I heard some people say that amps are only needed for console gaming and soundcards are for computer gaming. Is that true? If I wanted to buy a soundcard, would that be compatible with a laptop or would it only work with a desktop computer?

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #2 of 5
Dude if you are a PC gamer you have a wider variety of sound substitutes and enhancements, as for console gaming not much except for the amp line such as astros and sounblasters. So lets get started in CS: GO I utilized my setup which was sound from a pair of headphones and a soundcard. To be honest it is better to stick to a soundcard if you are on PC because it is insanely accurate as opposed to an external source but remember external sources such as the Recon 3D, Creative X7, Asus Xonar, Mixamp Pro and Other amps/dacs are pretty beast. The thing you should worry about is getting a pair of Headphones or a Headset. I recommend getting Headphones or a Headset which are not marketed towards Gaming because Gaming Headsets and Headphones are pure BS and are bassy as hell. In CS: GO You want to hear people using the Silenced Weapons like the M4A1S or Loud Weapons such as the AWP so my opinion as well as many others on this website agree that Audio-technica, Sennheiser, AKG, and Beyerdynamic make some Insanely beast headphones due to their accuracy and sounstages. So final point is, GET A HEADPHONE FROM THIS BRANDS I RECOMMENDED AND USE A MOD MIC WITH IT FOR CHAT, GET A SOUNDCARD RATHER THAN AN AMP/DAC, AND LASTLY GO BEAST MODE. Good Luck man and have fun.

I personally recommend the Audio-Technica AD700 (If you cant find it go with the AD700x), AKG k701 or k702, these cans do wonders for competitive gaming when paired with a powergul sound card.

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 5
I use both the Realtek onboard sound and the integrated sound card in my Blue Yeti microphone coupled with any of my headphones and have no problem hearing footsteps in CS:GO. Not sure any special amp/headphone combo is needed?

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #5 of 5
This is ages past its expiration date, but I'll chime in anyway.

Creative makes the best gaming sound cards still.

Titanium HD and ZxR are probably the best, and I have both (trying to sell one and keep the other because I need cash).

I get accused of cheating in FPSes all the time using either of those cards and Sennheiser HD598s. It's the only reason I still buy sound cards now that I get discrete DACs/Amps for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back