Soundcard, AMP/DAC with philips fidelio x2
Dec 2, 2014 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

MartinHa

New Head-Fier
Hi,
my name is Martin and I'm quite new to the whole audiophile-concept! 
Just recieved my philips fidelio x2 today, and my god, it is nice. My first high-quality audio-equipment.

That means the first step in my audiophile-conversion is done! :D

I'm using the headphones on my desktop computer, and currently with my onboard soundcard (asus p8z77-v). Main usage of this equipment is gaming and music (listening).

I really have no knowledge at all when it comes to soundcards, dac/amps etc. I've read some guides, trying to make some sense of it. 

If I'm right, the DAC is used to convert the audio from digital to analog, outside the computer case (to avoid interference from inside the case). It's then possible to convert a digital surround signal into a stereo-signal compatible with the headphones.
This sounds like something I want. I would like to get a surround signal from my pc, because I think the positional audio-capabilities of my headphones is quite good.
I've looked at the schiit modi, this is quite good, right?

But do I need an amp? I've no problem with the volume, what else is the function of such an amp? It seems customary to connect the schiit modi to the magni, but what exctatly is the function of the amp?

Do I need a soundcard as well? My motherboard supports DTS connect, is this any good? Or would it be wise to buy a soundcard that supports another surround-system, like dolby headphone, or something?

And how about external soundcards, like Asus xonar u7? How does something like that compare to a soundcard/dac/amp-solution?

-
Martin 

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 29
Asus Xonar DX (or D1) sound card (used, $60)
FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60)
Gives you Dolby Headphone surround sound, nice CS4398 DAC chip and a headphone amplifier with an output impedance of less then 1-Ohm :)

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 29
  Do you think the Schiit will be unnecessary, or is your suggestion as good? 
Thanks for answering :)

My suggestion is cheaper, right now there is an used Xonar DX on eBay for $45.
So your looking at around $105 total (DX/E11K) and you get Dolby Headphone

With the Schiit Modi/Magni, your looking at $210-$225 and you would be using the motherboard's on-board sound card features, if you got the Modi optical DAC.
If you got the Modi USB DAC it would bypass the on-board sound card features.

My way is cheaper, but can't say it's 100% equal to the Modi/Magni.

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 29
Sounds tempting!
I live in Norway, which makes for some hefty import fees when importing items more valuable than 35-40usd.
The Asus xonar I can get quite cheap here as well.

The fiio e11k is more expensive. If it sells for 60usd on ebay, it'll cost me 80-90usd in total.

Is there any alternatives to the fiio, or is it considered among the better in its price range?

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 29
Sounds tempting!
I live in Norway, which makes for some hefty import fees when importing items more valuable than 35-40usd.
The Asus Xonar I can get quite cheap here as well.

The FiiO E11K is more expensive. If it sells for 60usd on eBay, it'll cost me 80-90usd in total.

Is there any alternatives to the FiiO, or is it considered among the better in its price range?

I think the FiiO E11K is good for it's price range.
The FiiO E6 could easy drive the 30-ohm Philips X2, but I think the E11K is a better investment.

but there is plenty of time to look at all possible options.

Live in Norway, after paying all the taxes do you have enough leftover to go skiing?

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #9 of 29
  Asus Xonar DX (or D1) sound card (used, $60)
FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60)
Gives you Dolby Headphone surround sound, nice CS4398 DAC chip and a headphone amplifier with an output impedance of less then 1-Ohm :)

Just one question!
Do I connect the fiio to the soundcard with a 3,5mm cable? Whats the point with a dac in the fiio? I thought the point of it was to transwer a digital signal to the external unit? 

The e10, if I bypass the soundcard, then I wont be able to get dolby headphone, or anything similar? Guessing I can't get that from the e10?

Just trying to get a grip on it :) 

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #10 of 29
  Just one question!
Do I connect the FiiO to the sound card with a 3,5mm cable? Whats the point with a DAC in the FiiO? I thought the point of it was to transfer a digital signal to the external unit? 
The e10, if I bypass the sound card, then I wont be able to get Dolby Headphone, or anything similar? Guessing I can't get that from the e10?
Just trying to get a grip on it :) 

It's nice having an external DAC.
Connect the external DAC to the motherboard's optical port
but everything costs money.
If you want to spend the money for a Schiit Modi DAC (optical) and a Schiit Magni amp, go for it.
Have you figured out the import tax for the $198 Modi/DAC, and shipping charges from California?

Assuming your motherboard's on-board audio does not offer Dolby Headphone
You could get an Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card, which has Dolby Headphone and an optical port.

A USB DAC (or USB DAC/amp) will bypass the sound card features (like headphone surround sound).

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #11 of 29
Yes, that is my point. You recommended the dx and the fiio, but isnt the fiio a usb DAC/amp? Or will I be using the dx as a dca, and then the fiio just as an amp?

So, just to clarify: the dx is capable of sending dolby headphone through Its 3.5mm output, which means I can start with that. Then I can upgrade with the fiio, to improve quality?

Im considering this option! :)

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #12 of 29
Yes, that is my point. You recommended the DX and the FiiO, but isn't the FiiO a USB DAC/amp? Or will I be using the DX as a DAC, and then the FiiO just as an amp?

So, just to clarify: the DX is capable of sending Dolby Headphone through Its 3.5mm output, which means I can start with that. Then I can upgrade with the FiiO, to improve quality?

I'm considering this option!
smily_headphones1.gif

The Fiio E11K is just a headphone amplifier and you would connect it to the Xonar DX's headphone (front speaker) jack.
(the FiiO E10K is a USB-DAC-amp)
The Xonar DX's can send Dolby Headphone through it's headphone(front speaker) jack.
The Xonar DX comes with a CS4398 DAC chip, which is considered a fairly good DAC chip

As the Philips X1 and X2 headphones are only 30-Ohms, they might not sound there best plugged directly into the Xonar DX.
The DX's 100-Ohm output impedance might give the Philips a bloated (louder, less detailed bass).
Where as the E11K comes with an output impedance of less then 1-Ohm :)
The Fiio E11K can easily drive headphones from 12-Ohms to 300-Ohm (and even 600-Ohm headphones somewhat decently)

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #13 of 29
Thank you! Now I think I get it :)

Just to make sure before I go ahead and buy something; if I start with the dx alone, it will have a too high output impedance, which will make my x2 sound bloated, but the surround-quality will be better. The amp's job is to reduce the output, to a level the x2 is more comfortable with, which in turn improves the sound quality.

I've also read that the xonar dg only has an output of around 10ohms, and it also supports dolby headphone. But is the DAC-chip inferior, perhaps? :)

But you would still recommend this setup, instead of going with a better interal soundcard with an integrated headphone-amp, like the STX?

And I've read complaints that Dolby headphone impairs the overall audio-quality in itself, will the fiio fix some of that? 

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #14 of 29
  Thank you! Now I think I get it :)
Just to make sure before I go ahead and buy something; if I start with the DX alone, it will have a too high output impedance, which will make my x2 sound bloated, but the surround-quality will be better. The amp's job is to reduce the output, to a level the x2 is more comfortable with, which in turn improves the sound quality.
I've also read that the Xonar DG only has an output of around 10-Ohms, and it also supports Dolby headphone. But is the DAC-chip inferior, perhaps? :)
But you would still recommend this setup, instead of going with a better internal sound card with an integrated headphone-amp, like the STX?
And I've read complaints that Dolby Headphone impairs the overall audio-quality in itself, will the FiiO fix some of that? 

What will happen exactly when you plug 30-Ohm Philips headphones into the Xonar DX is not know for sure, it might work out better then I would think.
The Xonar DG/DGX should have a lower output impedance then the Xonar DX, I've used both and the DG performs like it have a much lower output impedance.
I used the Essence STX for about two years, worked with all my headphones, from 32-Ohms to 600-Ohms.

If Dolby Headphone is impairing the audio quality, you can just not use Dolby Headphone (setting in Xonar control panel), you really have no need for Dolby Headphone with normal 2-channel music files.
Just use Dolby with 5.1 sources (games/movies) , you really can't do headphone surround sound with a STX without using Dolby Headphone
but adding an external headphone amplifier to any Xonar sound card would not fix any Dolby issue.

Dec 4, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #15 of 29
Sorry for seeming so indecisive, just want to be as sure as possible that I'm getting the right gear. :)

I got another tip, to get the aune t1 DAC/amp, and just download razer surround for free. Any thoughts on this? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back