Soundblaster XFI via 16/44-48 DAC and 3D headphones
Oct 30, 2006 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jimbobuk

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I'm considering upgrading to the new XFI, perhaps even the top model, as i NEED to get the digital outputs coming out the back of my machine, my PC has a door why would i want it via a 5.25" bay!!
smily_headphones1.gif
A daughterboard would be perfect, as i currently do with my SB Live.

Anyways i'm a HUGE fan of dolby headphone for watching movies.. if i could have that for my games as well that'd be great.. the XFI seems to offer this, or at least some form of it.

I was wondering what people thought of its 3d output in this application, when compared to DH.

My connections at the moment would have to stay and that is coaxial digital out, at 16/44 or 16/48 to my Tag Mclaren DAC20 DAC.. obviously i'd be losing all that high resolution gubbins whilst my DAC (and audio files) can't support it.. no loss for me really.

Whats key is that the 3D headphone effect is allowed to be output via digital in those formats to my DAC so that my DAC can then go to my headphone amp and finally to my ears. Can anyone who has this card, or has had it confirm if it sends this headphone output out of its standard outputs, the digital out included?

Also movies should be fine as the EAX driver should work well.. again the DAC path will require games running at standard 16/44-48 rates but I'd hope for that to all be configurable and ok? I'm more interested in how the movie surround virtualisation fits in with things.. I've got a detailed flow in Zoomplayer for my movie playback which currently uses NVDVD's audio filter to get my my Dolby headphone playback.. how does the creative mode fit in.. does it supply a filter to patch in, do you just set the normal DVD out to drive 5.1 speakers and the creative drivers do the rest?

Thats about it.. pretty specific. Your help is really appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

Oct 30, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 9
The X-Fi's DSP should be able to give you an effect similar to Dolby Headphone's virtual surround. The output obviously won't be bit-perfect since you're messing with the signal, but it should output the EAX-affected audio.

The DSP should be configurable with Creative's supplied drivers, but the downmixing of a 5.1 signal will still depend on the software decoder's settings (ex. NVIDIA's decoder). So, for DVDs, you'll still use Dolby Headphone, but for games, you'll use the sound card's EAX capability.

Oct 30, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony
but the downmixing of a 5.1 signal will still depend on the software decoder's settings (ex. NVIDIA's decoder).

Or...you could just let x-fi do the decoding instead of software.

Oct 30, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
Or...you could just let x-fi do the decoding instead of software.

Ah, I haven't had first-hand experience with Creative's X-Fi drivers, so I wasn't sure if that was an option. But, he can also let the NVIDIA decoder handle it if he prefers its virtual surround implementation.

Oct 31, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 9
does this effect get output in my required format down the digital outs

16bit 44-48khz

? Thats the real important question for me.. If it does i also assume someone who owns the card could do an mp3 recording of the effect when playing a movie i also own so i could compare the mp3 to my own dolby headphone effect.

I was kind of hoping that if the DVD decoder is setup to output 5.1 then the XFI would jump in and do its thing on it, as the settings of it dictated.

I am keen to see how it compares with dolby headphone, though as suggested keeping DH for movies would be fine to fall back on if i preferred it, having better in game sound via headphones wouldn't hurt.. i imagine playing Half Life 2 and its offspring in headphones would be even better than it currently is via straight headphones option in the game. How much different though I can't say from here.

Can anyone who has one try to rip the effect?

Oct 31, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 9
thanks Evisu, but for the long term future I plan to still use my Tag Mclaren DAC 20.. I dont have any need for higher resolution formats as such, and dont really believe that i'll hear the difference. Mainly though I've invested thousands and am content and keen to listen to my CDs through it till it breaks
smily_headphones1.gif

For movie playback I'm more than happy right now, again the rig does what i need.. I'm just curious if the dolby headphone part can be improved with this creative version of it.

I have read on avsforum a few people commenting on there being problems with lip syncing, I have NO idea why that should even come into play, this was from a year ago, so if there were any driver problems here's hoping they've well fixed them now.

Aside from sample rates what do those cards off as far as movie specific enhancements?

Cheers though
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 9
I can attest to the X-Fi's 3d positioning, it is worth drooling over for games/movies when using headphones. And yes, it will do all the digital processing and output it via optical/digital coax
wink.gif

You could go with the front bay and just leave the front bay on the side/top of your computer. There's nothing forcing you to put it in a 5.25" bay.

Oct 31, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony
Ah, I haven't had first-hand experience with Creative's X-Fi drivers, so I wasn't sure if that was an option. But, he can also let the NVIDIA decoder handle it if he prefers its virtual surround implementation.

Or maybe just let powerdvd / windvd do the decoding. They can send the lfe channel to the main channels. With nvidias or X-fi's decoding the lfe is dropped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back