sound vs music
Aug 11, 2010 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mike1127

Member of the Trade: Brilliant Zen Audio
I had a vivid illustration of the relationship between "listening to sound as sound" and "listening to sound as music."

I was testing ERS paper on my headphone cable, listening to a string quartet. I was "conducting" along to get a strong feeling for the rhythm and expressive shaping of the musicians. At one point, half of the instruments enter "off the beat" (in a syncopated rhythm) and there is a wonderful feeling of getting lost---losing a strong feeling of downbeat for a few moments. It's expressive, and inspired me to change how I was moving my hands.

Cue next experiment. No ERS paper. I was listening to aspects of the sound---it seemed a bit more airy but perhaps more gritty too--- when that same passage occurred. But I hardly noticed the music---I was intent on the sound.

A moment later it hit me that this passage was missing the effect. So I replayed it, this time "dancing" my hands to connect with the rhythm. And there was no "getting lost" effect. Every event was perceived as precise in time.

I put the ERS paper back and cued the passage. This time the "getting lost" effect was strong. By shifting my attention to the sound, I discovered that the effect originated within the first violin, which played quietly and slightly out of sync with the other players. The difference in terms of the sound was a slight improvement of delineation of inner detail. Really very slight. But in terms of the music the difference was large. The musical effect happened strongly vs. not even noticeable!

Aug 12, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 3
I haven't felt like getting stoned for like ages man.

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 3
You should try aluminium foil wrapped around your head too. It kills all those nasty interferences and it's also quite cheap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back