Sound upgrade options
Apr 8, 2013 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Jedefre

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting here (little nervous) i'll try to provide as much information as i can. I currently own a Sennheiser HD 598 and a $30 usb soundcard that offers virtual surround sound for games. I mostly play games, Battlefield 3, Bioshock, TF2, World of Warcraft, etc. But i love to listen to music such as, Classical paino, violin, soft Rock, soundtracks, some pop and electronica. Doing my own research i have come up with the Asus DG would be good for the gaming aspect for it's surround features. But I'm also having a hard time choosing between the Schiit Modi & Magni for my music. I was hoping some of you experienced headfi users out there could give me a hand to lean me one way or the other. My budget is around $250USD.

Thanks.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #2 of 2
Play Battlefield 3 and set your audio option to wartapes. 
If you can't tell where gunshots are coming from with your sennheisers, or can't tell where jets are screaming by with just audio. Then that Xonar may or may not work for you. The reason is that Battlefield 3 has virtual 7.1 in the game so stereo headphones with big soundstages will work.

My onboard supreme fxiii does just fine with an ath-a900x at Battlefield 3 and music and I can pinpoint gunshots/footsteps. Compared to siberia v2's which advertised itself as "Virtual 7.1" 

If your motherboard is at least the equivalent of alc-889 audio codec then you'll be fine. I tested between the two and it was hard to distinguish, other than the Xonar DG 5.1 having warmer sound when playing music.

Unfortunately I can't answer your amplifier troubles, good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back