Sound under Vista much more quietly than under XP. Why?
May 6, 2009 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Aquanote

100+ Head-Fier
Hey folks

i just installed Vista Ultimate with all Updates. I still got XP.

Now I noticed that under Vista when I turn the volume up as much as under Xp the volume is at about 50% of what it is under xp. My soundcard is the Asus Essence and I´m using windamp with asio.

In Vista there also not many options for increasing the volume. There´s only the master volume, whereas in xp you could also fiddle with wave volume and such. I dont need that but it makes me thing if everything is set at 100% or if windows is messing with it.

that really bugs me cause I would like to switch to vista fully and not start xp everytime I want to listen to music.

is that a common problem? anyone knows a solution?

May 6, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 4
Right click your Volume Icon>Sounds choose probably 'Speakers' Asus Essence in the 'Playback' tab then choose 'Properties' from down below, or whatever device is chosen as default; click on the 'Levels' tab and see if any of those are low as well as any other tabs available to you there.

Also, not sure if Winamp has a WASAPI driver/plug-in, but I use it with foobar, and it's good. Basically WASAPI=Vista version of KS/ASIO without the need for all the setup.

May 6, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #3 of 4
Vista has lots of options for controlling sound. More than XP.

Click on the speaker icon on the task bar (near the clock). That will display a single master volume control. Click on the "mixer" to open the mixer control. You'll see a volume control for each audio application that is running and a separate volume control for Windows sounds.

Also open the "Sound" control in Control Panel (just type Sound in the search box in the Start menu). Select your audio device, click on "Properties". You should see options in there to adjust levels for the various inputs/outputs.

May 7, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #4 of 4
i know what the problem is now but couldn´t figure out how to solve it:

the volume mixer refuses to work. Everytime I try to open it nothing happens. Already searched the web for a solution but to no avail.

it it a file called sndvol.exe. It is listed as running but i doesnt.

i already tried reinstalling drivers, closed all kinds of programs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back